Old 08-26-2008   #11

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
Just wait till 'Rock O'bottom is in charge. He wants to reinstate "The Fairness Doctrine" in order to put out of business market driven talk show hosts. This brings up another issue talking about censorship-why can't any left wing talk show hosts survive?
Pretty simple, really. Most "leftists" want information, not infotainment. It seems, given the huge success of O'Reilly/Limbaugh/Hannity et al, that "conservatives" prefer infotainment to actual information.

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #12
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I don't care for these political responses to my thread, can someone remove them?

Seriously, a couple points. To answer Matt J., there was a purpose to making a public post. One, contacting the admins about this seems akin to asking the CIA how many of my friends they've wiretapped. Secondly, I realized that I might have never noticed the removal of some of these threads had I not been involved and chance timing. It made me wonder how common this is.

In defense of the system, I will say that most of these issues have ended up with a reasonable resolution and ultimately transparency prevailed. I remember the whole gh episode, and to his credit it ended with a public apology that I thought showed some character and some hope that we wouldn't be running into these problems going forward.

The community guidelines are here:
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/?page=guidelines
(or scroll down the bottom of your page)

I sure hope to see a very liberal interpretation of these guidelines in the future. If you merely take the statement "Do not engage in personal attacks." and try to apply to it to every post you're going to find yourself in a definitional quagmire regarding "personal attacks". I think we have some sense of what constitutes a reflection of discussion that could happen in the boater community vs. flagrant flaming over the internet. Although some monitoring will always be necessary, I would sure hope we can all agree to error on the side of non censorship.

There's a reason Frenchy's name keeps coming up in these discussions. Yes, the system will inherently be fallible, but we've all witnessed a model, Frenchy's monitoring, that did a great job of keeping the forums from getting out of hand without becoming overbearing.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #13
gh

pnw, Washington
Write it down, August 26th. The off (aka whining) season has begun.

south_lander, nice job of taking shots through your alias, typical.
Old 08-26-2008   #14

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
You know, I find it pretty personally offensive when someone rips on a run they will never do and then throws up ridiculous pictures to wreck havoc on us Buzz lover's vibe. The proper response is not the tattle tale/whining demand to get the photos deleted, but instead we should all be mature adults, throw up sic drops over those lame shots and create a hilarious thread which openly critiques the scene. It seems to me that the Buzz does a great job of keeping each other in check, when left to it's own devices. Generally, the worst things happen when they are done off the screens of everyone.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #15
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I rarely get involved on the back end, but...
How often exactly is "rarely," Dave? Once a month, once a year?

You're worrying me.
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #16

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Trannie Love Doll?

Wow! Do you own one?

I think that under Colorado law you have to register a certificate of ownership and beneficial use in order to put up photos of life-size sex toys. If they are named, they have to have a state registration sticker affixed to the point(s) of entry.

Anyhow, I just got snarled at and threatened with The Moderator on another forum (Wooden Boat) for comparing the Wyoming wind (blustering, shifty) to George W. Bush. Mildly funny, perhaps. Offensive? Perhaps to the entrenched few with really bad consciences.

The BUZZ seems relatively free of that starched- underpants form of censorship, and is better for it. At times there is a nasty, unfair torrent of abuse. But most often the abuser gets the same (and bit more besides) in return.

CENSORS: Just so you know, my starships are circling this system. If you screw with my posts, you will be vaporised. This is your first and final warning.

Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #17

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
"state registration sticker affixed to the point(s) of entry."

That was good. For boats over 16 ft., they are (in some jurisdictions) considered a Type IV throwable device.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #18

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
How often exactly is "rarely," Dave? Once a month, once a year?

You're worrying me.
The only thread I've ever deleted other than spam, was KSC's post about whining about being censored. I've boated with him and enjoyed his company. I should have pm'ed him that I'd done so. Again I thought deleting it was pretty funny. I certainly got a big chuckle out of deleting it. Would I do it again? Not sure.

I agreed with the original deletion, but did not personally do it. KSC's looked like it would end up going down the same path.

Sure the posting guidelines are a little vague, but any post that blatantly attacks another member (in the title no less) is sure to be nuked.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #19

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Now I didn't see the culmination of the Yeti post but it seems to me that more shit talking has taking place than what was on that post including personal attacks. I mean is it a personal attack to tell someone that their pictures of non kayaking drops are weak? That they should sac up and take a shot of someone running it?

I say no my friends, it is merely a form of blunt informing. Similar to when your friend tells you that you have a huge booger hanging out your nose. You don't want to here that, but everyone is relieved when the booger is removed.

What is next? Are the firemen going to come to your house and throw your computer in the fire?

Sorry about using sac up to describe being tough that was just sexiest of me.

P.S. I took a blow up doll to my junior homecoming dance. It got taken away from me even though Shaneekwa was clothed. Its not my fault that she was so impressed with the moves I was bustin that she had her O face on. I am starting to think it was because I didn't have the proper tags on the point of entry. My bad
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #20

Leadvillian, Colorado
I don't think it's fair to compare Frenchy's style of moderating. First, it was the o.g. which will always be hard to stand in comparison. Second, he was always pretty busy doing actual work so he only intervened when it degenerated to name calling. As far as the Yeti posts, if possible I would like to see future threads monitored by only taking the offensive posts out, or possibly just covering any offensive language. An example of how it might look:

Yeti is a total p*ssy because he won't run the sh*t and is jealous enough to steal the thunder of those brave enough to huck.

That's just an example of course.

Welcome to the off-season. If you're wondering I know of a place with some water.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote