View Poll Results: Do you want to see an Inflatable Kayak forum?
Yes 29 48.33%
No 9 15.00%
Don't care 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2013   #81

Jenks, Oklahoma
I am a many decades long hard shell kayaker. Love those boats. Also canoe and raft. Sept 14 2012 I had a life changing accident that among other things left me with a titanium cage over four of my vertebrae. My spine Doc allowed that I could paddle ok using "common sense" something that me and many of the hard shell kayakers I know often time do not use. But, he was adamant that me doing a kayak roll had a high chance of putting me back in the wheel chair permanently. IE the stress that was on 4 sets of relatively flexible bone structures was now on one fused metal/bone cage and just might break something. So, I got a ThrillSeeker IK. Mainly because one of my hero squirt boaters Jim Snyder uses one in West VA creeks. As does his brother, but he stands up in the boat. After doing some ThrillSeeker multiday trips with a load and some unloaded (except for me) trips on the ARK around BV CO, I am stoked to be back on WW. True I cannot (yet) carve into mini eddy structures but I can slide into them pretty good and this thing just blows through decent sized holes. I call it a ducky but the ThrillSeeker and Aire Lynx versions can do the job in WW and get overnight gear down as well. I am excited to see posted in this forum some awesome creek runs in IK's. I am pleased to more IK chat on the Buzz. Bottom line for me is I hope more and more IK boaters post here on the Buzz. My opinion is I don't care what craft a person uses to get on the river, what is important is they are out there having fun and seeing sights people who do not boat rarely see.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #82
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Wow. Nice to see so much support for the duckies here!

I like how the SUP's think its cute to come onto the scene after only existing for a few years and think they can call us "fringe". All that does is make me laugh, really hard. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Also, just because you survived taking your SUP down Gore doesn't mean you cleaned it. I've watched people style OBJ, Daisy, Pine Creek, Gore, and other outside CO RUNS in duckies and make it look better than some hard shellers. www.cacreeks.com. Go check out some of the shit those guys are running CLEANLY in their ducks. I have not seen SUPrs do anything remotely close. Oh sure, they "go down" it, but falling off your board fifty times and flailing like a scarecrow in the wind doesn't count.

I think it's great how the SUP crowd whined and bitched and moaned until they got recognition with their own forum, where most of the duckies haven't been too bothered by it because we've gotten so used to just following the boaters forum. It's like the SUP crowd very much WANTS you to KNOW they SUP, where as the duckies just very much to GO boating.

It's also humorous how SUPrs have a sense of entitlement for other boaters respect- they think we need to accept them as full members of the boating community and not disrespect them at all. I've been a ducker for a long time and have never been given respect for my craft. And some of that disrespect came from people who now demand respect for SUPrs!

Good call on the weekend warrior call out Randy. I'm super stoked they made Logan a mod, because he actually gets out and boats all the time! Not once a month or whatever. So tired of being preached down to and controlled by people who boat six times a year.......

Old 08-08-2013   #83

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I don 't see the need to denegrate.SUP 'ers....my point was that even the guys that are reallly g ood at it were getting spanked a lot...that shit is hard....why look. down on them the way kayakers do on ducks? It wont be long until someone besides Snyder does some gnar well on an SUP...

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote