View Poll Results: Do you want to see an Inflatable Kayak forum?
Yes 29 48.33%
No 9 15.00%
Don't care 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2013   #71

Seattle, Washington
Call it a ducky if you want. But "a fringe whitewater craft for people who are either new or afraid/unable to roll a hardshell" is just stupid and blatantly wrong with even a cursory familiarity with boating.

IKs do not need to prove their whitewater pedigree. All but the hardest V+ whitewater has been run, cleanly, in IKs.

If anything is a "fringe whitewater craft" it's the SUP. Check back in with me when someone starts cleaning real whitewater on a sup. No, play park surfing does not count. Swimming every rapid does not count.

Popularity of SUP might be great, but I'd point out it ain't even close which you'll see more of on an actual river with actual rapids. Out here, the most bad ass SUP I've seen was a descent of the III White Salmon, which featured a dozen swims by the guy who told me at the putin my IK didn't belong on such a tough whitewater run.

Lose the arrogance. We're all just boaters and whatever craft you use on a particular day is A-OK.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #72

I haven't seen Randy this upset since I suggested that it might be a good idea to use a motor on Lake Powell.

Randy, while I understand your argument, just look at all the IK proponents who've shown up on this thread. Seems to me that if you put the letters IK in a topic subject line you are going to get the answers you are looking for.

You might even get lucky enough to have a badass, clearly superior, hardshell boater take time out of his busy day of being awesome to help out a lowly duckier from time to time.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #73

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Jen,

Doesn't Alex from Confluence run IV - V(Gore?) and falls on a SUP ?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #74

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Not sure but it's likely, I know people are definitely doing it: Gore Canyon SUP - YouTube
Old 08-08-2013   #75

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
[QUOTE=slickhorn;330521]Call it a ducky if you want. But "a fringe whitewater craft for people who are either new or afraid/unable to roll a hardshell" is just stupid and blatantly wrong with even a cursory familiarity with boating.

IKs do not need to prove their whitewater pedigree. All but the hardest V+ whitewater has been run, cleanly, in IKs. QUOTE]

Ever since I saw a guy run the right side v-wave in Lava Falls and stay in his ducky the whole way through, I say "right on" to what you wrote. Would a SUP-per be able to do that? (No, not trying to start a competition).

Ducky proud since 2002! Along with my main boat, my raft.
David L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #76

The SUP content was moved into a new forum area because the gear and activity is fundamentally unique. There are no long trips to plan, etc.

The site team has been watching this discussion pretty closely and interestingly, is as divided about how to handle Ik content as the membership seems to be. The current choices emerging seem to be:

1. Do nothing. Leave inflatables posts where ever the OP seems to think most appropriate to their specific topic.

2. Expand the rafters forum description to include IK topics and move existing threads to that area.

3. Set up a new forum area for small inflatables and other "orphaned" boat types.

Another interesting consideration is that preferences seem to be dividing long lines of who's using what sort of browsing device. Mobile users like everything in one forum so they don;t have to navigate to various areas of the board. Computer users seem to prefer more definition. Having forums for various kinds of boats makes it a little easier to search for old info.

We may be close to coin flip territory to make this choice...
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #77

Seattle, Washington
nice work in Gore on the SUPs. Hadn't seen that before.
Old 08-08-2013   #78

Denver, Colorado
I may have misunderstood .I just watched that and some other SUP vids...diid not see anybody running V maybe a little IV...I think Alex said he ran a big falls but jumped off the board in mid air..those guys in the vid are top kayskers and SUP fixtures at Glenwood and were still getting spanked a lot on 3 maybe IV- stuff...only dude who seems to stomp V routinely and land big falls upright is Jeff Snyder in. a strider, both a ducky and an SUP or somewhere in between..dude is amazing in any craft...
Old 08-08-2013   #79

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

2. Expand the rafters forum description to include IK topics and move existing threads to that area.
Please not this. When I ask for creek beta, it's already bad enough with this hardshell exclusivity. There's a lot of water IKs can run that rafts can't run, so this makes zero sense.

Option 1 is best. Option 3 I could live with. Option 2 doesn't work.
Old 08-08-2013   #80

Denver, Colorado
ditto Slickhorn....2 would intermix it with the rafting gear -cooler -oarlock -umbrella threads that were the source of much griping by non rafters that caused the forum divisions in the first place...just getting those to be in the Gear Forum of adding rafting gear forum would have been sufficient of at least a major improvement in of itself.