View Poll Results: Do you want to see an Inflatable Kayak forum?
Yes 29 48.33%
No 9 15.00%
Don't care 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2013   #51

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Well, the leader in the poll is "Don't Care". And with so few voters, I suspect the vast majority of the members also don't care, so it seems that they probably are respecting the wishes of the majority.

xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #52

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Thanks for the lack of response admins. You put up a poll, solicited feedback, and then didn't do anything; about what I expected.

SUP is so cool and duckies aren't. You guys are great.
Sorry Randy, I brought it up after your last comment for "back room" discussion, but response was less than lack luster.... most moderators aren't particularly fond of the new setup as it is, so give it a little bit.

Old 08-06-2013   #53

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
We run mini-me's and the like which are not big rafts and not duckies. There are several other small water crafts that don't fit in. Maybe "small boats" would be a better name if another forum is needed. At one time we had river running float tubes with flippers on our feet and west water was a lot of fun and did 2 week trips out of them in Alaska.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #54
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post

Sorry Randy, I brought it up after your last comment for "back room" discussion, but response was less than lack luster.... most moderators aren't particularly fond of the new setup as it is, so give it a little bit.
But you all chose the new setup and decided to go with it - and ignored a part of this community. I paddle an IK. I also have 1,600 posts on the 'buzz. I've spent five figures with your partners in my ten years on the 'buzz. I give genuinely good advice on boat repair, gear, and trip planning to other members. I boat with people I meet on here. I invite 'buzzards on my permits. I use the swap, as a seller, a buyer, and an employer.

This is the only request I've ever made in the Mountain Buzz infrastructure and I'm basically told "maybe later, we're too focused on Class II surfing." Those of us that are part of this community - that boat WAY more than most of the gapers behind their screens (moderators ESPECIALLY included) want to see our interests represented.

Want to talk about lack luster? I invented Grif and entertained hundreds of members bored stiff with forums about cooler ice and aluminum alloys. Try to be more considerate of your clientele - we do pay the bills, after all.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #55

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have a mini_max in addition to my larger raft. I plan to get a packraft soon, and I'd also like to get an IK when I have the funds to do so (used them before, just don't own one - yet). I've also done a bit of SUP, not much.

Like quite a few others have said, I like it all, and I read quite a few of the posts outside of the rafting forums, even though that's all I own (yes, a mini is still a raft in my opinion). I was never in favor of splitting as it currently is, I was a bit disappointed actually.

Someone else also pointed out that a LOT of posts are put in the wrong place anyway, so splitting the place up into more forums just makes that worse, not better. If anything, I'd like to see it go back to the way it was! Gear, Safety, Trips, Boating and Lost&Found.

Give the admins a break though. Appreciate what they do, don't complain about what they don't. They are not going to be able to please everyone.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #56

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
But you all chose the new setup and decided to go with it - and ignored a part of this community. I paddle an IK. I also have 1,600 posts on the 'buzz. I've spent five figures with your partners in my ten years on the 'buzz. I give genuinely good advice on boat repair, gear, and trip planning to other members. I boat with people I meet on here. I invite 'buzzards on my permits. I use the swap, as a seller, a buyer, and an employer.

This is the only request I've ever made in the Mountain Buzz infrastructure and I'm basically told "maybe later, we're too focused on Class II surfing." Those of us that are part of this community - that boat WAY more than most of the gapers behind their screens (moderators ESPECIALLY included) want to see our interests represented.

Want to talk about lack luster? I invented Grif and entertained hundreds of members bored stiff with forums about cooler ice and aluminum alloys. Try to be more considerate of your clientele - we do pay the bills, after all.
LOL, so you single-handedly support the Buzz all alone! Poor Randy... give him his forum guys, he needs it bad.
Old 08-07-2013   #57

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
Hey..John The Welder...I have a mini-me too! Love it...We usually paddle it with 2 people on the sides and it has a frame set up with the seat over the middle, but I saw another one with a rear rowing frame and passanger in the front...was a nice set up too. What is yours like?
Just posting to keep bumping this post!
DEA4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #58
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post

LOL, so you single-handedly support the Buzz all alone! Poor Randy... give him his forum guys, he needs it bad.
I never said that. I said that as a user I want to be heard. I'm making my case because the "powers that be" have ignored the type of floating I do because it's not cool enough for a forum. There are dozens of active 'buzz users that paddle IKs - we love to float and love to talk about it. Is this really such a big deal?

There's a current post in the raft forum soliciting feedback about ducking Bailey - just another example of a need for this type of forum.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #59

Quote:
I never said that. I said that as a user I want to be heard. I'm making my case because the "powers that be" have ignored the type of floating I do because it's not cool enough for a forum. There are dozens of active 'buzz users that paddle IKs - we love to float and love to talk about it. Is this really such a big deal?

There's a current post in the raft forum soliciting feedback about ducking Bailey - just another example of a need for this type of forum.
You are not being ignored but you are being pushy. Adding a forum area is a big deal. It can change board dynamics and we move slowly when considering these changes. The poll on this issue hasn't shown a definitive path forward and sometimes there's more than one way to address a perceived need. For instance, we could simply edit the rafters forum description to include other inflatables or open a new "small inflatables" area. We're mulling over these options as well as the option to do nothing. Having a foot-stomping temper tantrum about this isn't going to change the process. Chill....
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #60

Slc, Utah
1st: thanks, Buzz for being a great source of information. I have used this forum for years to dig beta on stretches of water.

Over the years I always lurked, but I registered in order to vote in this poll, (and to answer a question about the SJ). The rate of info-flow on the board is pretty heavy and searching is the best way to find what I am looking for. An IK (or small inflatable, etc) category would make finding what I need much easier.

I have no interest in owning a big boat for the same reason I have no interest in owning an RV. I have no interest in kayaking as I do my 'sending' off the river. IKs (packrafts, etc) are ideal for my sort of rivering in that one can run a large range of water, including water that is too small for big boats and too long (not always, but often) for kayakers.

It is very clear (see recent posts, other than gear talk stuff), that any question posted in current forums looking for IK-related beta will be met with allegations of rollerbladery, barneyishness and texanism (extremely slanderous claims where I come from).

I choose an IK because I want to be on a river without families on rigs loaded like the beverly hillbillies or mega groups with kegs and ice cream makers and stereos. A separate forum would encourage the sharing of beta from people who we all know are out there running water.

A little backpacker gear and a rolled up inflatable in the back of a hatchback, that's the way to hit the put-in.

thx

lnrdgtz is offline   Reply With Quote