View Poll Results: Do you want to see an Inflatable Kayak forum?
Yes 29 48.33%
No 9 15.00%
Don't care 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2013   #21

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA4boating View Post
post in a public forum...brings out all the Haters...
I thought it would be nice to see and meet other Duckie runners as we dont paddle at the same rate as a hardshell, cant eddie out as fast and usually dont have the chance to play and surf..And I really dont see any kayaker groups saying to a solo duckie person, "hay, come join us" where as most rafters I know dont mind. And most of my duckie friends are rafters, who just want to be able to run some more whitewater when it gets too low for our bigger rafts.
So..Texans...please post up, I like to know the daily trip reports too..
Actually, I've had great experiences ducky-ing with kayakers. I'm a member of CW and all the kayakers there have been very welcoming. I've also hooked up with kayakers here on the buzz and had great fun and no bad attitudes.

xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #22
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
If theres an IK forum we'll just have every overfed lily white Texan that visits Colorado posting trip reports about their guided duckie trip on every day run in the state.
Or maybe Jeff Snyder will post a note about striding OBJ.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #23
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
I'm hoping to plan a Dirty Devil or Dolores inflatable canoe and kayak self-support trip for 2014. An IK forum would be the ideal place to talk about scheduling the trip, selecting and rigging the equipment, and perhaps inviting some 'buzzards along. It would be a great forum for all of the recent threads about buying a duckie too.

Of course, when I'm looking for people to boat with I'll check the Trip Planner threads in both raft and kayak forums - because I like boating with everybody!
Old 07-18-2013   #24

I think we should combine the worst aspects of the kayaking forum with the worst aspects of the raft forum and call that the ducky forum. Kinda like how duckys combine the worst aspects of rafting and kayaking.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #25

Jenks, Oklahoma
a asshole is a asshole no matter what the boat they use!

Been boating all my life. Now retired. Started out in canoes, still love them. Moved to hard shell kayaks and loved them. Got into rafts and loved them even more. Had a horrific accident in the Grand Canyon that left me with metal cages in my spine and metal bars in my leg that has now put me into IK's. Purchased a "Thrillseeker" a few months ago and love it. Have carried my gear on a 5 day Smith River trip in the IK, couple weeks ago did a weeks worth of day trips on the ARK out of Buena Vista and Salida in the unloaded IK and just loved being back on the water. I will not be doing any more gear hauling in my Aire 18 Leopard or Aire 143 or big time hard shell kayak hair runs but I will be out there having big time fun in my IK with boating buds in rafts, kayaks and canoes - hopefully IK's as well.

Over the many decades I have run rivers all over The USA and Mexico, Central and South America, I have met hundreds (make that thousands) off "classy" people. Many of whom have become life long friends. These folks enjoyed rivers on canoes, rafts and kayaks (hard shell and IK types).

Along the way I also ran across a few assholes. They got on the water in sailboats, skiboats, fishing boats, canoes, rafts, hard shell kayaks and IK's. Some did not even have or use a water craft.

Here is how I feel. It makes me sad to see fellow boaters classify a few people as @%*&^ depending on what the paddle or row etc and then apply that classification to every one who happens to paddle that craft.

A good man or woman is good or bad because of how they treat others and live their life. Has zero to do with what they paddle or row.

Get off the name calling and enjoy the people and what ever craft you get on the water with. You never know when the River Spirits will kick yer butt and take you out of your water craft of choice.

End of Rant.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
A good man or woman is good or bad because of how they treat others and live their life. Has zero to do with what they paddle or row.

Get off the name calling and enjoy the people and what ever craft you get on the water with. You never know when the River Spirits will kick yer butt and take you out of your water craft of choice.

End of Rant.

Well said. AND....

It's important to remember that this discussion is about how we organize forum information to make it most useful to folks NOT about the merits of one boat or another.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #27

Seattle, Washington
From my perspective, I'd prefer to keep it all in one place. There sure seems to be a lot of kayakers who don't want to see raft posts, or vice versa....

And, by the way, there are self-support SUP paddlers.

But IMO, at least for myself, I want to see it all. Sweet TR from mexico, first D's and waterfalls? Yeah, I wanna see that. Recent beta? Want it. Gear tips? Want it. ELF MFS post season? Hit me! Packraft/bikepack trip? hell yeah!

I do about everything but hardshell, and there's just no way all my rafting knowledge has come only from rafters. There's no way my kayaking skills have come only from hardshellers. Rigging tips, safety, beta, gear, etc .... how do you categorize this? When I ask a PFD question, it's likely I'll use that PFD in both craft -- do I post 2 threads now?

I'd rather see all the posts, and pick the ones I'm interested in, rather than have to check out 4 different forums. I would hate to be confined to just one boat, because what the the river says is heard differently by each craft. So we learn different aspects of the river from different boats, but it's all a continuum of experience.

Here's a shot from my last trip. Now, I hiked this gear in 10 miles. Where's the backpacker forum? I'm packing like a rafter, but I'm definitely creeking. I'm using skills from what, six disciplines? Where do I post?

If I had a packraft, would that also be a separate forum? Is it boating gear or hiking gear?

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #28

Jenks, Oklahoma
Hey SlickHorn, Thanks Man for posting that photo!

Made my day and many days to come.

Jeez, I thought my creeking days were over!

Hiking ten miles is a while off for my rehab, but seeing you running the hair gives me a bunch of incentive to get back in the game!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #29

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA4boating View Post
post in a public forum...brings out all the Haters...
I thought it would be nice to see and meet other Duckie runners as we dont paddle at the same rate as a hardshell, cant eddie out as fast and usually dont have the chance to play and surf..And I really dont see any kayaker groups saying to a solo duckie person, "hay, come join us" where as most rafters I know dont mind. And most of my duckie friends are rafters, who just want to be able to run some more whitewater when it gets too low for our bigger rafts.
So..Texans...please post up, I like to know the daily trip reports too..
Hey I think it would be cool to meet other Duckie runners as well. That's why I joined this board, well that and to get accurate river information/pro-tips to try and avoid killing someone. My boyfriend and I paddle a tandem duckie, comfortable up to class III. Hope to see more IK around!
tamdimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #30
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
... like how duckys combine the worst aspects of rafting and kayaking.
The worst aspects of rafting and kayaking are the customers and the arrogant teenagers, respectively. Duckies have no part of either.