Old 10-10-2006   #1
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I think naked anonymity is a bad thing.

I think naked anonymity is a bad thing. Users should be limited to one screen name per non-free email account. Not like were not accountable .. but whats to stop those really annoying bots from posting advertisements as "guest" anyway?

&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #2

Somewhere on, Earth
Thanks for posting your thoughts. I setup some of the new forums wrong like The Eddy so non-members could post. I just got that fixed.

As for a single account per non-free email addresses, I think sometimes we get trolls who setup a few accounts in a short period of time and try to stir things up and for the most part the community has been successful in putting them in their place.

As we move forward, we will have some more tools available to help deal with these trolls and more eyeballs available to act when a bot posts SPAM. I don't think we need to enact such strict rules on accounts at this time.

Other please chip in and post your thoughts...

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #3

Golden, Colorado
If the purpose of this forum is entertainment, then anonimity is fine. If the purpose is useful information, and intelligent discussions, posters shouldn't be anonymous. I believe frenchy initiated the log-ins as a result of the forum getting out of hand a few years back. It seemed to have helped. My vote would be to take it one step further and require all posters to have thier real name in their profile. It just keeps people honest and accountable and eliminates trolls. (Of course I guess there is no way to make sure people put their real name in their profile.) Plus I think it would be a tighter community if people could put a real name to a screen name.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #4
gh

pnw, Washington
gh, greg horton, fyi
Old 10-10-2006   #5

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Matt Booth unless I rock boats then my name is Marty Cronin...If I'm being stopped for something illegal my name is then Darren Livingston
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #6

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I don't get it. What's wrong with me being naked when I post anonymously?

No really, there's a certain anonymity that comes with being on the internet. You can't make people post their real names even if you do make them post names. There used to be a field in your Mountainbuzz profile for your name and then you could choose whether or not people could see it or not. At least this gives an identity to people willing to put the work in to check out your profile (if you wanted them to). I think the bigger issue though is if we all had our real names as our tags, anybody could come in get your name and easily find your phone number, where you live, etc. I think this would be an even bigger security/privacy issue.

COUNT
Old 10-10-2006   #7
I'm wrong 50% of the time

RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
If people want to find out who you are, there are other ways. I believe that anonimity in a community like ours is ok, but it takes a certain amount of gumption to post a profile and stick by what you say. Those of us that have been here for a while should at least have a basic profile, even if it does not include you full real name.
As for those that have anonymous logins...get some balls.

Not used to the look, but I will get used to the new and then newer look. I like all the ideas so far, but wonder if the "Krew" will have to monitor 24/7 to move topics around to proper lo-cals. Good Job Guys.

What about a female krew member just to keep it balanced?
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #8

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I think we'll definately be pretty busy moving posts to start but eventually we'll have taken care of all the past posts and members will catch on and we won't have to do too much to keep things straight. I used to have a bunch more info in my profile but on one of the upgrades, several fields disappeared. We will have a more complete profile section in the near future (including places for what paddle you use, creek boat you paddle, etc.; Andy R's cool idea), as well as hopefully a few ladies helping out with the Buzz. We'll keep you guys updated on what's going on. Later.

COUNT
Old 10-11-2006   #9
gh

pnw, Washington
There are things in the works to address the lack of female participation on the buzz. Stay tuned..
Old 10-11-2006   #10

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Names

A while back I simply asked for names of the new buzz krew and to my knowledge, got no response. I see gh has now identified him self. Who are the others?

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote