Old 02-08-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Forum View Suggestion:

I like the home screen that shows all the new topics, in all the forums, as opposed to checking individual forums for new posts. I don't see why the individual posts are shown differently on the home screen, than in the other view. it would be nice if you could still pick which page# to start with and see the name of the latest poster from either view. Obviously not a big deal, but one more layer to sift through to see what you are after.

That's right, I am pretty bored today. I am back to counting snow in terms of future cfs, instead of fresh inches, due to my injury.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Any time I log onto the Buzz nowadays, I just hit the "New Posts" option before the portal page even finishes loading. Its on the little light blue tool bar across the top. I've gotten so I very seldom go into any of the forum areas unless I'm looking for a particular post I read a few days ago.

The "New Posts" option lets me see who made the most recent post on each of the threads since the last time I logged in and gives the page number choose from. I think these are the things you're looking for. Its improved with the new software in that even if you have to log off abruptly (here comes the boss!) it'll usually still show the recent posts if you log back on within an hour or two.

By the typos above it looks like the Percodan is working... Hang in there, bro. And remember that until you're back to paddling there'll be a spot on the drybox and a Dale's in the cooler for you.

Hope you heal up soon,

-Andy

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #3

Somewhere on, Earth
Dave, what do you think about this page that has the last 50 discussions from all the forums. It has the pages listed so you can jump to any page of the discussion and also more info about the last poster, and clicking on the title will jump you to the last post you read.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/?page=all_buzz

If you like that I can update the Boaters Last 50 Discussions also. Then you all can bookmark these pages to use as your Buzz home page.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #4

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
That's bitchin. I really like it. The only real thing I would change is to make it show two or three photos instead of just one (but I guess we don't want to get greedy and end up with none again ). I go back and forth on whether we want the Eddy posts separate from the rest or not. Ultimately, I think I'm okay with it either way.

D
Old 04-08-2008   #5

Somewhere on, Earth
I think more photos is good also. I am just having some issues with them not showing up properly. I am going to get a coder to look at the code and see what's causing the issue in the HTLM. Ultimately it will have more photos.
Old 04-09-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
That seems good. I can't find the option other than in your post above. Am I missing it or is it a proposed modification that has not been implemented.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Old 04-09-2008   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Andy
The "Last 50" seems a little redundant when you can just hit the "New Post" button, but whatever makes people happy.
When I log in, which is automatic when I click on Mountainbuzz, I look at the photos and then go directly to the New Posts button. That way I never miss any posts. Even if I been gone for a few days, it will bring up several pages of new posts
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #8

Somewhere on, Earth
@ Dave - The plan is to find a place to add a link to this report. It will probably be in the left column. I am also hoping to bring back the drop down menus soon but I need some time to work on those. So that's another place this view could go.

@ rwhyman - Lots of people have different surfing habits. This interface has actually been available for over a year when we switch from phpBB. This was more like the old Buzz before topics were pull from the boaters forum to The Eddy to organize things better so folks who did not want to sift through off topic posts did not have to. The members who liked everything in one list could just look here. The main difference from using the New Posts feature is that it uses session management to figure out what is new. If you come, read a few threads but don't have time to go through them all then you come back it will not show you the ones you did not read. It just shows you the new threads since your last visit. The above link is just a linear interface to the last 50 posts. Different strokes for different folks. I think the way you do this is very common and efficient but a lot of others don't have the same practice. Thanks for sharing though, if they have not tried that method then maybe they will now.
Old 04-10-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
I like the last 50 because it catches threads that I didn't look at as new the first time around. This helps me because I am such a dork.

I wonder if I have some preference set wrong. When I open threads it is no longer directing me to the top. I am (and always have been) set for "linear-oldest first". seems like it ought to know which I've looked at and send me to first unread. It seems to send me to either newest, or maybe to newest since my last visit even though it may be a topic I've never opened.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Old 04-10-2008   #10

Somewhere on, Earth
Dave,

I think the changes are due to two things. Last year when we switched to vBulletin I had added a little change to the portal so it would take you to the Lat Viewed Post in a discussion. When the software was upgraded earlier this year that "hack" was not re-applied and the links just took you to the first page of the thread. Then this poll was posted and it was obvious that members liked the feature (which was unintentionally not added back). I added the feature back a few weeks ago. So that is why you have probably been seeing things differently recently.

The way you view discussions, newest on the first page, I can see how the default link would be good. Seeing as the majority or members use the standard view I think the Lat Post Viewed link is better.