Does anyone know a paraplegic kayaker? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-11-2016   #1

Columbia, Maryland
Paddling Since: 2016
Does anyone know a paraplegic kayaker?

I wrecked one of my bikes in '08 & was paralyzed. I'm a T7 para if anyone knows what that means. If not feel free to look it up on Google. I've been using my fathers sit on top 13' ocean kayak on the lake, and it's cool for cardio & fishin', but I'm interested in ww kayaking. I called the local river runners, but haven't heard anything yet. I signed up for some roll lessons at a pool that starts in a couple weeks, but I have a few questions and wanted to get some feedback. Thanks boys & girls

Martymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
You are an awesome, awesome person, just like this guy. I'm sure you'll figure it out

CB4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
There was a guy in Boulder that was a C1 (decked canoe) paraplegic. He was a very good paddler; I'm not sure if he choose a C1 over a K1 for ease of exit or if he just preferred one blade - does anyone remember his name (paging Dave Frank)? I used to know it but it's been over a decade since I ran into him on Boulder Creek.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #4

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
There is a community out there and many people who will be willing to help you get out on the water. Go for it.

http://www.disabledsportsusa.org/paddling/

This page has some info on modifications etc. We rafted with a guy in the past and he did some stuff in an IK but that was hard due to stability issues. I was so nervous the first time we went out for a day trip and everyone got turfed out in the second rapid - of course, with all that upper body strength Per was the first to climb back into the raft, ha! He was only here for a couple of years so we only did a few trips. Per preferred sailing and will be representing his country for the fourth time in the Paralympics at Rio, amazing guy.

Perhaps the coolest thing was the Lower Salmon trip we did when on the first night Per wistfully said that he intended to sleep under the stars as it was the first time he had been away from roads since his accident. That memory still brings tears to my eyes.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #5

CEDAREDGE CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Para friend

I volunteer with an awesome organization in western Co. Colorado Discover Ability. We are an organization that strives to help people with disabilities get into the outdoors. I've personally worked with double lower amputees rafting and have a good friend that is para and has his own raft that he regularly runs class 3 in. Once long ago I was kayaking solo the Royal Gorge of the Arkansaw. (Class4) For safety I joined up with someone else that was by himself. At a crux rapid I asked if he would be scouting, he said he didn't think he needed to. Long story shortened he ran every thing great and at the takeout I discovered why he hadn't scouted, he was a para and actually used an old school 70's model car seat buckle to hold himself in the boat. I was blown away and I'm sure you can understand what he must of felt like. To me he was just another good boater. Good luck to you. You should look up TRR team river runner a veterans organization that emphasizes white water paddling there are chapters all over the US. If you ever come to western co give me a yell. I'll take you out K2 for a fun splash and intro you to Kegan my boating friend with the raft.
kayakerpro is offline   Reply With Quote