Old 02-04-2016   #11

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
toast

I went on four trips last year with folks I met on M.B. The year before that, a Grand trip. Who put a bug up your ass?

catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016   #12

Somewhere on, Earth
The Buzz and Mountain Project are very similar. We have 10,000+ photos submitted, they also have tons of photos. We have a very active gear swap section, they use forum threads for classifieds. The primary difference is that we do not have a database of river runs and the ability for members to log their journeys on those runs. We've thought about building this but have opted not to. Their used to be site called EddyFlower that offered that and it was not heavily used. American Whitewater also offers a similar function.

Another thing to note (since you are probably here doing some market research to launch Whitewater Project) is paddling forums/communities are highly regionalized with Boatertalk serving the east coast, Boof.com serving the west coast and Professor Paddle in the Pacific Northwest. Yes, in theory we could all gather at one forum and sing kumbaya but the reality is paddlers from each region have nestled into their respective forums and it's now "home" for them. The Buzz is a very tight knit group of people, it's been online since 1998 and has grown considerably in recent years. So suggesting we are fading in popularity couldn't be further from the truth.

If the intent of your post was genuine in that you want us to explore ideas on how to expand the Buzz to meet the needs of our members, we are all ears. If our members think it would be cool to have a database of rivers/runs and ability to log trips on those then we could build that in pretty short order. What other features do you think we are missing?

FWIW, Craigslist would also fall into the Web 1.0 look/feel but it's pretty darn successful. Not all sites need to be fancy or the end all solution for everything on a single topic. When you have an awesome user base that contributes great information, that's what makes the site great. Buzzards rule.

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016   #13

Gray rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1893
I posted this as a way for us to think about new ways to make the site even better.I compare it to mountain project to show a site comparison of ways to make it even easier for us to access information that can be beneficial due to how wide spread and detailed it has become.I have used other sites that were talked about (Eddy flower,american whitewater,) but have used the buzz for river info for years.Be that as it may and all jokes aside a few comments were helpful in bringing up what is obvious but true about what mountain buzz is .Others just waste to much time while taking their morning shit.Either way kayaking is about having fun and being outdoors so take a joke and enjoy the blue skies!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016   #14

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
What I see with the Buzz is a bunch of people willing to take their time to help others with very specific questions. Many take huge efforts to assist often taking the time to upload pics and explain things at length. Much more important than an encyclopedia of a shallower level knowledge. IMHO

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016   #15

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Well Ghost, since you have been on the buzz for 4 days tell everybody how crappy we are and how you can fix it.

I have been here for all of 6 months so I guess I am in charge of the show now.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016   #16

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Hey Ghost, a lot of my best work is done on the bucket. The buzz is interactive and member driven.

Its really not a passive website that ppl just come to and easily find information and then leave. Its more like a camp fire with drunks, sobers, religious, atheists, kayakers, catboaters, rafters, and such and so on.

I would like to welcome you to the Buzz fire pit and encourage you to post up some trip reports, maybe a pic or two, maybe even get in a fight, get sand in your face, pick a side, eat some humble pie. That's my fav. With that said, I'd like to say "Thanks for throwing a log on the fire." I just don't think your going to have a lot of success here talking about how bad our fire sucks. Just saying.

Cheers.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016   #17

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
What I see with the Buzz is a bunch of people willing to take their time to help others with very specific questions. Many take huge efforts to assist often taking the time to upload pics and explain things at length. Much more important than an encyclopedia of a shallower level knowledge. IMHO

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 02-09-2016   #18

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
For years I've been going on Mountain buzz looking at the same few pics recycled every few months.seems to me like it is a little bit behind compared to the Mountain projectwebsite that has all the information for climbing at your fingertips. I was curious to know if anyone else thought this website was like 50 cents career.that's a joke by the way 50 cent is bankrupt.what are your thoughts how can we make this website what it should be instead of what it is "how to build a raft frame".com.
Ghost, I'm pretty sure this isn't going the way you saw it in you head. Why don't you give us a specific example. Give me a link that is especially good that we can look at as an example.

I frequent several forums and I really like and enjoy the Buzz and have learned a lot from others here so I'm really am curious about what you mean.

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote