Old 06-04-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Boy's Clubhouse Comments

I've noticed a couple of threads lately where any mention of a female boater or rafter has drawn Neanderthal "is she hot" comments from buzzards. It seems like admins have responded by deleting some comments or locking threads entirely, which I applaud. If it's not there already, I'd be in favor of a two strikes and you're out policy, where the first shitty comment draws a deletion and a stern warning, and a second results in a ban. I think we should strive to make this site and community one that's welcoming to women, rather than one where any post might trigger comments about their attractiveness (or their mothers').

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Says the guy who's handle is Craven_Morhead.

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Who said I discriminate based on gender?
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #4

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Wow! Thank you Craven, this appears to be a sincere request to treat women as equals and not as objects. I am surprised and happy to see this, I've been ignoring the buzz for a while ever since we discovered we have a lot of bigots among the Buzzards. This is refreshing.

And yeah, goldcamp, way to assume a guy can't give head - everybody has a mouth, not just women.
Old 06-04-2015   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
As long as we're on the topic I'd like to offer up my two cents... you know, cuz I'm a female boater and all...
I don't need special treatment. I haven't found anything that's been said to me to be offensive. If someone feels the need to hit on me, well, I guess that's their issue. Just like in a face-to-face situation, I have no problem telling stupid boys to go pound sand. Maybe my sense of humor is too skewed to be offended; I have always had more guy friends than girl friends and maybe this is why. Maybe I've even offended some Buzzards, who knows.
I personally found it ironic that the moderators ended the thread with the girl asking for boater friends-- she did, after all, choose to disclose that she's a fit, 27 year old, SINGLE female.... heck, I even sent her a PM offering myself up as a boating buddy if she's ever around and didn't even get a response, so maybe she was just looking for some boys, who knows.
And that the thread about the Texans wanting to hire out a guide for Clear Creek was also closed down rather quickly too...
And yet, when people started talking about how the woman from Texas died in front of her child's eyes because she was too fat to get back in the boat, no one chose to interfere out of respect for the dead?
That's just my personal feelings on the censorship stuff that's been going on...
I can't speak for all of us, but I'd assume that the majority of the females on here at least have some sense of humor... I think we're all faced with the reality that this is a male dominated sport, which means jokes sometimes err on the dirty side. The same would probably happen in hockey, or lacrosse, or playing pool down at the local bar. There's this thing called human nature, and it's in all of us.
So there's my two cents... got change for a dollar?
Old 06-04-2015   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Low Hanging Fruit

So If my first question was " is she smart " would you be offended. Would stupid people be offended? Is "is she is hot" more of an insult or more offensive than Craven MorCock? I'll never understand I don't have the time to learn between the river and driving around beating up organized religious groups I'm booked solid. Cheers
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #7

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The point is that women in our society have been objectified to the maximum, thus all the Hooters, Twin Peaks, strip clubs, etc.

Asking what her qualifications are is fine, asking if she's hot is objectifying her - as if what she looks like has anything to do with her skills or intelligence. Women are just there to look hot and be a good bow maiden providing you with beer anyway, right?

Now, as I'm sure will happen -bring on the misogynistic bullshit, I'm ready to leave again anyway.
Old 06-04-2015   #8

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Craven_morhead.... Bahahahaha. You are one funny guy. (Not to offend the non-funny ppl)

But if this was a serious thread and I wanted to troll this site, I would just create 5000 different user accounts and watch them get blocked one at a time. Right? You kinda brought a pretty worthless idea to bring legitimacy to the Buzz. imho.

Besides, I've been on the Buzz longer than alot of you want-a-bees peewads and its never been a bunch of warm fuzzy kumbia for the greater good community.

Its a freaking internet forum were we argue, fight, and apposite views in anonymity to gain insight into thoughts and ideas that would other wise be avoided in face to face conversations. Stop trying to fix the Buzz. Its perfect as is!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
I'm going to just leave what the girl we are mainly talking about here said...
Hey there! New in avon area looking to explore Eagle/Ark and Colorado rivers. 27 fun loving single athletic girl who loves to paddle

If you're not looking to be hit on, then don't disclose that you're single. If you're looking for boating buddies that's all you've got to say-- Hey, I'm a 25 year old girl in Steamboat who needs some other people to paddle with. Willing to travel, anyone wanna meet up???
Like I said, I offered myself up as a boating buddy, here in the boat or to meet up somewhere like the lower blue or the colorado... no response. Maybe if I were a guy I would have got a response... just saying.

Says the girl who threw a fit because the sprayskirt marketed for women is actually marketed for pussies.
Old 06-04-2015   #10

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I retract that last statement I put on here. Was irrelevant.

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote