Old 06-04-2015   #41

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
You white Knights of the buzz are hilarious. You really think a modern women needs the care and protection of a endangered animal. I don't see anyone making any comments About the hate in my paddle rafting sucks thread.Its 7 pages of guys( some of which who have posted in this thread) insulting me. Nobody came to my defense. Seems sexist imo to try and treat her any different then any other fellow boater. Btw if you don't think her post was worded in the manner in which it was you're guilable or sexist.
I for one stopped reading your trolling thread after about 2 entries. Looking at it now its obvious the anal rape "joke" about you crossed the same sort of line we are talking about. That is a fair enough point. I could try and and argue your previous behavior and comments led to that outcome but that would be logically inconsistent. We have to apply the harassment boundary consistently. I will say your sexism comparison is inaccurate and not analogous though and that would be consistent as I have said I give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. You proved that tendency wrong a long time ago.

Honestly, I stopped giving your comments and threads any credence a year ago. Its pretty obvious to me that you are trolling this forum and have for a while. If that isn't the case than maybe you might benefit from losing the name calling and actually presenting a coherent, supported idea. I am not going to hold my breathe but I have been proven wrong more than once on this forum.

As far as being gullible....I will take that anyday over behaving the way you do on this forum. Its has its consequences at times for sure but I also know some top notch people because of it. I started getting bored with your type of interpretation, approach and behavior in my twenties, which in hindsight is far too long. My life has been better ever since.

And at least try to find something newer than "whiteknight" if you want to insult folks. Even the lamest of menimist moved onto "social justice warrior" a few years ago.

Phillip

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #42

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
now I feel bad...

Is that Max Headroom in that photo? Wow!

Old 06-04-2015   #43

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post
I think your approach is probably one of the healthiest. I usually try to do the same as far as giving people the benefit of the doubt, but I will be the first to admit that I am sexist.
I have a really hard time getting along with women, and if I'm honest it is because of stuff like this. We seek out attention, then have a fit when it's received in the wrong form. We're nice to each others' faces, and then when we're with our boyfriends or other girlfriends we talk all kinds of shit. We're nice to each other just so that we can talk to each others' boyfriends.... I try REALLY fucking hard to give girls the benefit of the doubt... I reached out to Emma for a friend and got nothing in return. I know, sad story. But really... this is why I can count my real girl friends on one hand, and have extra fingers left over to count my swims... which I can still count on one hand too.
And again, it probably doesn't help that my sense of humor is what it is... but you know, I've spent the last ten years of my life working in pizza shops, grease monkey, road and bridge... thus, my jokes are fairly limited to sausage, pepperoni, meatballs, pie, boxes, sauces, anything measured in inches (I've got a sixteen inch sausage and only a ten inch box)(this pie is so deep)(sausage wallet: bulk italian sausage, ho-made meatballs and hot gooey cheese, all wrapped up in a tight fold of dough, sauce comes on the inside), lube, dip sticks and moving your fucking Vulva (Volvo) so that everyone else can get through the construction zone. I've even gone as far (mind you I was drunk at the bar) as to let a few stupid boys know that my dick is bigger than theirs-- for the sole purpose of having them leave me alone (and a good laugh).
I'm crude. I can be abrasive and am totally sexist at times... I know, I have issues... I have very few friends. But that's okay.
As the work day fades away, I find my brain wanders away from sexism and towards the ginormous amount of water that is currently flowing through this amazing little town. My beautiful Burn is calling to me... "sit in my cockpit, wrap your skirt around me, paddle me... deep strokes..."
We are similar in that regard. As a man I spent most of my time hanging out with woman even in male dominated outdoor venues. On the Appalachian Trail I tired of the chest thumping and silverback like mentality of the 95% male population fast; from the few women I hiked with (more than 16 years ago now) they just enjoyed having a guy around who wasn't trying to get in their pants. I had my douche bag moments in my twenties but luckily not as many as one could fear. It wasn't until my thirties when I started finding like-minded guys to hang out with (comparatively). Its pretty even now. I have a lot of top notch guys in my life I value as friends and mentors.

No judgement on sense of humor. I just looked at the thread BB was talking about and its obvious you like that sort of banter. Its not always obvious from my comments on the internet but sexual jokes can be downright hilarious and are likely as durable as fart jokes. We saw the first tandem oar cataraft on a river recently and were laughing about "mutual oargasms" for hours (never as funny out of context). "Sausage fest" is used commonly enough. And I guess that is the nuance for me. If/when people "invite" you to play along that way its seems fair and I try not to critique that. On the other hand its pretty obvious from the disappearance that the new user we are talking about wasn't into it nor did she invite it directly, no matter how people interpret her words or read between the lines. At this point in life I have learned reading between the lines is a precarious game and I would rather deal with the consequences of being gullible as BB states than honestly hurt people. As I said before though, this could all be about a troll.

No judgement on my part and hope you have a solid boating season. Watching the gauges enviously from southern utah knowing I am unfortunately heading out to the midwest during prime season.

Phillip
Old 06-04-2015   #44

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
now I feel bad...

Is that Max Headroom in that photo? Wow!
Yep. Despite the receding hairline he still looks the same. Was a wake up call when my students didn't know that reference and that started happening in the aughts. Damn New Coke.

Phillip
Old 06-04-2015   #45

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
I for one stopped reading your trolling thread after about 2 entries. Looking at it now its obvious the anal rape "joke" about you crossed the same sort of line we are talking about. That is a fair enough point. I could try and and argue your previous behavior and comments led to that outcome but that would be logically inconsistent. We have to apply the harassment boundary consistently. I will say your sexism comparison is inaccurate and not analogous though and that would be consistent as I have said I give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. You proved that tendency wrong a long time ago.

Honestly, I stopped giving your comments and threads any credence a year ago. Its pretty obvious to me that you are trolling this forum and have for a while. If that isn't the case than maybe you might benefit from losing the name calling and actually presenting a coherent, supported idea. I am not going to hold my breathe but I have been proven wrong more than once on this forum.

As far as being gullible....I will take that anyday over behaving the way you do on this forum. Its has its consequences at times for sure but I also know some top notch people because of it. I started getting bored with your type of interpretation, approach and behavior in my twenties, which in hindsight is far too long. My life has been better ever since.

And at least try to find something newer than "whiteknight" if you want to insult folks. Even the lamest of menimist moved onto "social justice warrior" a few years ago.

Phillip
Res,you're a serious man who makes serious posts. Personally I find them very boring and overly analytical. if we all posted in the same manner this place would suck. What you call trolling I find entertaining.over the years I've figured out how to rig my boat, the pros and cons of draining a cooler and the superiority of pins and clips. Now I just like to bs with fellow boaters. We all have different expectations on this site.Different strokes for different folks my friend. Not a fan of personal insults though, so I'm sure we can find common ground on that.Unless it kayakers freakin good for nothing kayakers.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #46

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
.Unless it kayakers freakin good for nothing kayakers.

That just hurts.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #47

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Res,you're a serious man who makes serious posts. Personally I find them very boring and overly analytical. if we all posted in the same manner this place would suck. What you call trolling I find entertaining.over the years I've figured out how to rig my boat, the pros and cons of draining a cooler and the superiority of pins and clips. Now I just like to bs with fellow boaters. We all have different expectations on this site.Different strokes for different folks my friend. Not a fan of personal insults though, so I'm sure we can find common ground on that.Unless it kayakers freakin good for nothing kayakers.
Fair enough and willingly proven wrong again. And I totally understand the boring and analytical impression as I can even make fun of myself there. And as I said before the rape "joke" went too far and it wasn't called out so I can see how that can lead you to believe in an inconsistent application of the boundaries we are talking about. I do have to ask, can you see the difference of people interacting with you in the overall way that thread went down considering your ideas of "entertainment" and comments here compared to people doing so the very first time a newbie posts on the Buzz? I just seem to think that nuance matters. It doesn't justify someone making a story about you getting raped but its obvious your style blends well with someone like Soggy Tortillas. I have no problem being irreverent, etc I just believe it letting people make it clear thats what they want instead of releasing the hounds immediately.

My impression of you has changed over time and this helps. The way you trolled people like me for entertainment last year definitely left me curious about your roll here. That said, its always been obvious that some or many people like your sense of humor so I have just tried to stay away from your threads. And unless the "community" policies are compromised I tend to think thats a fair approach. Gets a little muddier when we overlap though.

No harm, no foul in this case. Enjoy more river time this summer than I likely will in five years. Damn I need to move away from the desert.

Phillip
Old 06-04-2015   #48

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
....And as I said before the rape "joke" went too far and it wasn't called out so I can see how that can lead you to believe in an inconsistent application of the boundaries we are talking about. I do have to ask, can you see the difference of people interacting with you in the overall way that thread went down considering your ideas of "entertainment" and comments here compared to people doing so the very first time a newbie posts on the Buzz? I just seem to think that nuance matters. It doesn't justify someone making a story about you getting raped but its obvious your style blends well with someone like Soggy Tortillas. I have no problem being irreverent, etc I just believe it letting people make it clear thats what they want instead of releasing the hounds immediately.

Phillip
Now, I stand behind my joke, I never said "but rape", that took some level of inference, though not much. In my parody, that instance was the ying to bb's "my buddy banged a biker chick in the bathroom's" yang. I do know I'm splitting hairs, but it was in his "style".

I think this horse is sufficiently dead. I for one will regain from any more juvenile comments.
Old 06-05-2015   #49

Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
I don't see anyone making any comments about the hate in my paddle rafting sucks thread. It's 7 pages of guys (some of which who have posted in this thread) insulting me. Nobody came to my defense. Seems sexist imo to try and treat her any different then any other fellow boater.
Let's make sure we're not lumping 7 pages of guys all in the same boat. I responded to that thread, and said nothing negative about you. I didn't come to your defense because I don't agree with you, but no bad words about bucketboater.

In regards to this thread, it really feels like a broken record. Doubtful everyone will agree on it, but perhaps we can all agree it's time to shut up and go boating!!!

“HOLD THE DOOR!” — Hodor
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote