Old 06-04-2015   #11

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I hate to say it but DBK pretty much summed it up for me. I don't come her to have my hand held. I think there are limits but I'd rather see we the users police the actions of others rather than force the moderators to censor. If we can't call out the BS and trust people to decide for themselves what is offensive we don't belong communicating with others.

For the record the "is she hot" comment wasn't funny, useful or necessary and for my part just lowered the posters value to me... I simply found it childish - and there will be more. I just chose to ignore it and move on.

Old 06-04-2015   #12

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I am done with this one.

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #13

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
The point is that women in our society have been objectified to the maximum, thus all the Hooters, Twin Peaks, strip clubs, etc.

Asking what her qualifications are is fine, asking if she's hot is objectifying her - as if what she looks like has anything to do with her skills or intelligence. Women are just there to look hot and be a good bow maiden providing you with beer anyway, right?

Now, as I'm sure will happen -bring on the misogynistic bullshit, I'm ready to leave again anyway.
What are the women who are employed by Hooters, Twin Peaks, Shotgun Willy's or the St. James down in Houston being objectified to that they themselves haven't signed up for? Hello, I'd like a job at your establishment, I have big tits and a nice ass, those are my qualifications. Thanks for the job. They're not forced into it. I have certainly had my choice of jobs, and strayed away from being employed at said establishments. What is stopping other women from doing so?
Old 06-04-2015   #14

Belgrade, Montana
Here is a link to a really interesting article written by a traveling stripper. It was enlightening for me, really.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/susanelizabe...tow#.ngE5kLp4L
Old 06-04-2015   #15

As was already implied banning people on an anonymous forum is a farce.

There is an individual on mountainbuzz who dared to be banned and was, but continues to post by cycling through stupid usernames.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #16

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Valiant idea to ask the beasts to be civil, but alas, not likely to change.

Sad truth is that many folks on here would rather use the buzz as a gossip rag akin to an internet gladiator match that for positive paddling purposes.

The buzz has always had some good natured shit talking. Many folks don't understand the difference between good natured shit talking (commonly between folks who know each other) and being a total anonymous internet dickhead. Big difference.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #17

I'm also in the camp that thinks people are too easily offended.

Probably the thing I like most about Nicki Minaj is in the couple of videos of hers I've seen she's "objectifying" men as much as most male rapper's videos "objectify" women, and I think that's a good, positive thing.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #18

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Here is a link to a really interesting article written by a traveling stripper. It was enlightening for me, really.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/susanelizabe...tow#.ngE5kLp4L
Hey, thanks for that... I actually have a little more respect for strippers now. Though I think this does kinda just prove my point that they are in the profession that they choose to be. This particular stripper has an education in journalism and english and she still chooses to go from town to town, shakin her ass for a few dollas. Makes me kinda glad I didn't pursue my writing career.

And remember... no matter what a stripper tells you, there is NO SEX IN THE CHAMPAGNE ROOM!
Old 06-04-2015   #19

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post
Hey, thanks for that... I actually have a little more respect for strippers now. Though I think this does kinda just prove my point that they are in the profession that they choose to be. This particular stripper has an education in journalism and english and she still chooses to go from town to town, shakin her ass for a few dollas. Makes me kinda glad I didn't pursue my writing career.

And remember... no matter what a stripper tells you, there is NO SEX IN THE CHAMPAGNE ROOM!
No problem... and I totally agree it adds to your point, that's why I posted it. I was really surprised by that article, it was an eye opener to an entire culture I was totally unaware of - or maybe just totally off base with.
Old 06-04-2015   #20

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
and no matter what on the river I'll still do whatever I can to help a fellow boater as I know most of you will do the same. Making the buzz into "The View" isn't going to make it better.

Swank is offline   Reply With Quote