Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Mountain Buzz Community > Support & Feedback

Old 05-29-2013   #1

Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2005
Are you guy s going to cater to stand up paddle boarding(SUPing)?

I was talking to a friend who retails SUPs by Bic and head said that he believes SUPing will help keep kayaking alive and help it flourish, since they are very similar sports that expose each other to each other. I thought that was a great point and hope to see some things that cater to SUPers. Playak definitely did. I hear SUPing is one of the fastest growing industries and sports.

wabisabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #2

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I wasn't aware that kayaking was dying... -_^

Joel_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Post away! If you're into SUPping, go for it.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #4

Denver,, exhaustion
It sure is odd that there are 3 SUP magazines at Barnes n Nobles but no White water kayaking mags...
Yet I tend to see on average 1-2 SUP.... Ah ers (not sure what you call em)
I'm sure that its fun. And I'm sure that on flat water and the easier end of the white water spectrum there are plenty of people doing it. ( yes I know that a few are pushing the level higher on white water too... But it's a few)

I can't help but feel that the most inefficient way to paddle on water ( SUP for the record) is being forced down our throats by the industry.

Fight the power!!!

Go out and boat, boof something, hit your rolls, be proud of your kayak love it.
Old 05-29-2013   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I know a couple high end boaters getting older, looking to make Class III fun again. I doubt too many people are quitting WW to take up SUPing.

More like soccer moms wanting a way to get on the water. Good for them.

Same as sea kayaking 10 years ago. Imho, Sea kayaking has lost to SUP, not WW.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgeiser View Post
It sure is odd that there are 3 SUP magazines at Barnes n Nobles but no White water kayaking mags...
Yet I tend to see on average 1-2 SUP.... Ah ers (not sure what you call em)
I'm sure that its fun. And I'm sure that on flat water and the easier end of the white water spectrum there are plenty of people doing it. ( yes I know that a few are pushing the level higher on white water too... But it's a few)

I can't help but feel that the most inefficient way to paddle on water ( SUP for the record) is being forced down our throats by the industry.

Fight the power!!!

Go out and boat, boof something, hit your rolls, be proud of your kayak love it.
Hear hear!!

Just like my signature said for the better part of two years: "remember when you didn't HAVE to SUP to be considered a kayaker? glory days, man."

"I'm going SUP'ing" sounds silly.

I think if SUP ceased to exist today kayaking would be just fine. Kayaking has been just fine with the addition of rafts and inflatables, I think it's going to be just fine without the help of this fad.

But hey, Wal Mart sells them now. So you can go support a real boating store like Wal Mart now too.....
Old 05-30-2013   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Several local creek legends were seen trying out SUP's this last weekend at Paddlefest...

I haven't tried one, but certainly don't have a problem with them. In the right hands they are damn fast. Mike Harvey had the fastest overall time in the Race to the Grill Monday on one.... and there were at least a couple of us paddling long boats with skegs...

Also worth mentioning I have self-support kayaked the Chama Wilderness with a friend who self-supported on a Versa board.... something to be said for that.
Old 05-30-2013   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I can't wait to break out my new tube this summer! I can see a whole new industry being born! Boy howdy.....
Old 05-30-2013   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
SUPing on the river for the first time on Sunday

Well, I jumped on that bandwagon and love it so far. Been on the lake for a couple of seasons. It was great rehab for my knee. Bought a Jackson board and heading to the Ark this weekend. Can't wait! Besides, its an excuse to have even more gear in the garage. My garage looks really cool.

The one thing that creeps me out is tethering myself to the board. Quick release or not, it's freaking me out.

Come on, you know you wanna'.....

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Haters gonna hate, personally I am addicted to SUP boarding. It's like kayaking but you can see way further downriver without scouting plus it's way more comfortable than jamming yourself into a plastic boat for hours on end

I too thought SUP boarders looked silly at first, now I'm stoked to hit the river and be one of the goofy looking SUP boarders on the water.