Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Mountain Buzz Community > Support & Feedback

Old 07-03-2013   #21

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Ha ha. Nice to have you determining what is appropriate for having fun. I see you've changed your tag line. Better be careful or you'll be living up to it.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #22

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
SUFD=Stand Up Fall Down

Old 07-03-2013   #23

What is "striding?"
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #24

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
What is "striding?"
Stand up paddling in an IK. I believe Jeff Snyder (Jim's brother) "invented" it. Like some SUPers today he was looking to engage the river in a different and newly challenging way. Jeff was a cutting edge squirt boater in the early days, pioneered a lot of the W.V. creeks, swam the Upper Gauley with homemade wooden body armor etc. He also makes wooden helmets. I paddled the Upper Yough with him once while he wore a beautiful cherry burl helmet. Plenty of people willing to say that his ways of enjoying the rio are stupid, inappropriate etc.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #25
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Ha ha. Nice to have you determining what is appropriate for having fun. I see you've changed your tag line. Better be careful or you'll be living up to it.
Eh... was just showing my point on why I don't care about getting into SUP's (for whitewater). Folks can do whatever they please and I'm happy they have the opportunity to do so. I'd love to follow some SUPs down any number of stretches just to see that many swims. Every SUP'r I've met was pleasant and way more river conscious than the tubers so no worries there.

My point all along is if I get to the point of needing to stand on the river there is a proven method. Striding seems to get dismissed because it's not the newest fad and because some crazy out east did it first without looking for a way to make money from it (that I know of).
Old 07-03-2013   #26

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
SUP is cool. It's keeping the paddling stores in business. In a way similar to rec boats. People buy them and hang em in there garage next to their dh bike, cx bike, roadie, tri bike, fixie, Dagger redline or disco, and maybe a brand new diesel from eight years ago. Not to mention climbing gear, touring gear, avie, it keeps going... Now put this garage in the Front Range and park an Audi or a Suburu in front and you have a picture of the demographic.
All kidding aside, sort of, they are easy to learn to paddle, and not scary. And actually pretty fun. The greatest thing about SUPs, it is something the GIRLS can get into. Will my girlfriend ever want to paddle Foredyce Creek with me? No and thank god, will she SUP Foredyce Lake with me sure.
If you are not convinced, go to Hawaii, find a mellow SUP break and checkout the lineup, if all those girls in next to nothing doesn't make you a believer, you probably should buy a one way ticket to SF, the Folsom St Fair should be right around the corner.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #27

The ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Stand up roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Stand up paddling in an IK. I believe Jeff Snyder (Jim's brother) "invented" [striding]. Like some SUPers today he was looking to engage the river in a different and newly challenging way...
Fowl Play 1 (see original post)
Thanks for posting this video!
It was amazing when he dropped over the waterfall and rolled up standing. Something to aspire to.
robemega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #28

Indian Hills, Colorado
I tried to get a buddy in to Kayaking...he liked it, but it didn't take. Recently he tried SUPing and was not impressed: "SUPing is like everything that sucks about kayaking, distilled: constant swimming, losing gear, falling on rocks..."

Not to hate on the SUPing, just thought that was comedy.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #29

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
We have been having fun on our Stand Up Boards on the Ark this summer.

...I still like to kayak too.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #30

Hey that striding looks fun! Wonder why it didn't take off like SUPing did.... If I had seen that video last year I would have bought a ducky instead of a SUP. I thought the ducky floors were too soft to stand on, but I've never been in one.

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote