Old 10-17-2006   #1
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
1% FOR THE PLANET?

I was stoked awhile back when Francois & Holley announced that Mbuzz had joined 1% FOR THE PLANET. (<-link)

Maybe I missed it, as I haven't been on all that much lately, but with the transfer of ownership, I never saw any mention of this being continued. Can you clarify?

thx,
t

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #2
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Wrong forum

This is none boating related. It's in the WRONG forum. Move this! GREG!

Old 10-17-2006   #3

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Good question. Andy?
Old 10-17-2006   #4
gh

pnw, Washington
lol, don...you having a bad day?
Old 10-17-2006   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Moved. Maybe I better take a six-pack over to Confluence on my way home tonight?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #6
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
First of all, i'm pretty sure Don Dowling was being facetious & not really demanding the thread be moved .. but whatever on that.

Secondly, regardless of what answer may (or may not) come from the new admins on my legitimate question, your moving my post to the dark corner where readers never go brings up a valid concern.

It seems that when admins/moderators have something "non-boating related" (whatever that means, among kayakers), it's ok for that to be on the forum (see Holley's post about a new female-only section .. or the sticky about a party to raise money for the Adam Barron Foundation, both of which I'm all for being on the main page) ... but it's somehow ok with you for that unrelated material to be on the main forum where the most visibility is. I'd bet that if the 1% for the Planet were a new initiative that the new owners inked, *that* would get posted by the owners on the MAIN FORUM, not in the "support" forum ..

So the question is inevitable: why move my question to a place where no one will see the answer, but reserve the right for yourselves to post gray-area stuff on the main forum? Who is this benefiting? It seems like overzealous policing to me.

If I get an answer to the question I posted, I think it's important for the readership to see this answer & I'm sure that the readership will agree .. but because it's stuck in this corner of the site that no one actively reads ((because the "support" forum is not linked from the "forums" tab on the nav bar, because it's only for FAQ stuff that's perceived as uninteresting, & because it seems to be used most frequently as a dumping ground for admins wanting to "clean up the buzz")), the readership, for better or worse, will not see the answer. That seems totally ridiculous to me.

And still, I'd love to know what's up with the 1% For the Planet committment.
Old 10-17-2006   #7

Somewhere on, Earth
I am not sure what charities we will donate to. I have already donated over $200 to First Descents on behalf of our members that paddled in the paddle-a-thons which is way more then 1% the site will make in a year. I am also thinking about sponsoring American Whitewater.

So the answer is that we will continue to give back to the community but exactly how might change a little.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #8
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
F'en with'em

I used to work for Patagonia and I'm a big Yvon fan.

As far as moving the post- that was just more of the same forum junk.

1% is an important program, people should look at doing it on a personal level. I mean if your willing to give 10% to the church- isn't the planet a little more important. Heck can't have one without the other.

We give 1% from every Jackson boat we purchase to the Planet. We don't pass this on to the public- we foot the bill. More people should take a look around and see what we each can do- what ever it is. Help the homeless, clean a river, teach a kid to read, buy Red, recycle- think outside yourself. Hell- smile at the next person you see. It all makes a difference.

If you get a chance read Yvon's book: "Let My People Go, Surfing"-good read. And, 1% goes to the planet.
Old 10-17-2006   #9

Somewhere on, Earth
I agree about trying to make the world a better place. I always try to help out whenever possible. I am in South America right now and I get sad thinking about how good we have things when you see the poverty nearby.

I would love to find innovative ways to help raise money for good organizations. We will be working with First Descents much earlier next year to promote their paddle-a-thon and I would like to help other charities when possible.

I plan to look more at 1% in the next year.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #10
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
i assumed you were being sarcastic with the move stuff ..

interestingly, not only was my post moved, but the title i gave it was changed (& not by me). sure it's more relevant to the subject matter, but, um, as a user don't i get to define the title of my thread? i figured "hey admins" was a nice attention-grabbing name. i mean, it worked. i think there may be some ethical considerations brought into account when admins are changing what you write w/o permission or even notification.

as for 1%, props to brian & holley for doing that, short-lived as it was. biz philanthropy is by no means mandatory & first descents is a worthy recipient as well.

& while we're on the subject of book rec's, ya'll should def check out yvon's book that don mentions, & also "cradle to cradle" by wm. mcdonough & michael braungart. that's a real eye-opener & for the right entrepreneurial spirits it could just be the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of starting a new biz with a big future.

i'm peacin' out of mbuzz for awhile & maybe the growing pains will be resolved by the time i check back in. i'm not loving the direction it's going & honestly i don't have as much time to dork around in here as i once did anyway.

overnout,
tg