Old 10-20-2006   #31

Vail, Colorado
ShaneR: Wrote
"It shouldn't go to first descents. A portion should go to the migrant farm workers who got pesticide sprayed on them. And some to the farmer's whose non-organic cotton fields are not fallow. And some to cleaning up THE RIVERS where the pesticide run-off FLOWS into."

I am totally in agreement with you and Todd about consumer knowledge. I do my homework prior to my purchases. There is a grey area where I am sure I have purchased from a company I do not morally support but hey, we are all human. Now as for the concept of donating, I also agree. I, not looking for a reward or cookie, have donated since I was able to make money as well as volunteered more than my fare share. NOW I did it for my own causes and beliefs. I choose my battles and what I believe in. For you to state that the donations shouldn't go to first descents and should go to ........ as the big Labowski would say "Thats like your opinion man". Seriously Shane you preach the cause but yet you show ignorance for some one elses cause. Get off it! Choose your own battles and everyone else will choose thier own without the righteous hand of Shane.
I did not care to add to this conversation but I could not help myself to address other peoples ignorance. I know they ALL mean well and have good intentions for their causes but they are THEIR causes, no one elses. Steve Z

Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #32

wish I had more time to set the facts straight and keep things in context.

But allow me explain one simple fact. A statute is written broadly to allow the law to be flexible to adapt to different circumstances and changing times. Courts then interpret the law and further define it in regards to the specific circumstances. Thus, bikenboat, a court opinion is THE LAW in common law countries, such as ours. At least until congress decides to overrule it by writing a new statute (thats how our government works). And cma, if a corporation does business in more than one state, they are governed by both state and federal law. And even local only businesses are governed by federal law to some extent. But you already knew this right (because you are a corporation), you just didn't care to share the entire story

Finally, I would love to learn why those companies are "evil" except that cma says so. I truely do care where my money goes. Thats why I am writing and thats why I spend time and energy to research these isssues. Glad to know you guys care also, even if we don't agree where the best place to make our next purchase is.

hit my off the forum if you want to chat more.....
shanecrobinson(at)gmail(dot)com

ShaneRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #33
cma

Boulder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneRobinson
And cma, if a corporation does business in more than one state, they are governed by both state and federal law. And even local only businesses are governed by federal law to some extent. But you already knew this right (because you are a corporation), you just didn't care to share the entire story

Actually, from Wikipedia (however we should all know that not everything on Wikipedia is 100%true, but it is the clearest plain english definition you can find)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation

http://www.mycorporation.com/whereto.htm

"United States
In the United States, several corporate forms exist; the name of "corporation" generally applies to a business run for profit.

Corporate formation is generally within the purview of state governments. The federal government usually does not grant corporate charters, except for some special instances such as Amtrak and Freddie Mac and banks and credit unions which opt not to receive charters from their home states.

Because corporate law differs from state to state, many American corporations are incorporated in a different state than their primary base of operations. Many large corporations are chartered as "Delaware corporations" under the laws of Delaware, which charges no tax on activities outside the state and has courts experienced in corporate law. Corporations set up for privacy or asset protection often charter in Nevada, which does not require disclosure of share ownership. Many other states, particularly smaller states, have harmonized their corporate law around the Model Business Corporation Act, a "guideline" statute drafted by the American Bar Association."
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #34

you won't give up, will you.

Are you really trying to claim that Federal law does not apply to Corporations? I'm not talking about charters.

Copyright law - federal
patent law - federal
Federal Civil rights laws don't apply to corporations? is that what you are suggesting? The USDA? You know, the one that certifies organic food sold at target. The FDA? The EPA?

Then there is the constitution, Federal that is. Free Speech? Right to contract? etc.

Sure corporations charter in states and operate in states and are also governed by state laws, but to think (and say) that they are not governed by Federal Laws is laughable. And the MBCA is often used to by courts to rule on cases, again making it Law - Federal Law when its a Federal Court...you know like the Supreme Court.
ShaneRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #35
cma

Boulder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneRobinson
you won't give up, will you.

Are you really trying to claim that Federal law does not apply to Corporations? I'm not talking about charters.
I am responding to your original assertion that there is a Federal law that states that Corporations must make a profit. Why are you twisting it, that is what you originally stated right?

http://www.professorbainbridge.com/2...ch_for_fe.html

Corporations and the regulations they must follow and operate under are state by state. If you are talking about kidnapping someone and transporting them accross state lines, that would be a federal offense and there are still rulings that go each way on whether a corporation can be treated as an individual and charged with such a crime. Yes corporations are held under patent law which is a federal issue, whether or not a corporation by law must produce a profit still does not fall under any patent laws, nor copywright laws nor USDA or FDA regulations. Also going back to your original assertion that corporations could never do what they wanted in the way with producing a product in a way that would be more expensive to produce is also wrong. It is right in your 1% list of companies, Volcom is a Publicly Traded Corparation that is listed on Nasdaq and they are a 1% member.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #36

Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
cma

cma, dude, go to target, sure, doesn't matter and nothing is connected right? Like your brain to your heart, for instance, and your instinct to your actions. Seriously man, vote with your dollars and say something worth hearing. We are not trying to regress here, lets go forward with Soul intentions.

What have you contributed to while shopping at target and walmart?
I'm sure you turned around and dropped cnotes to greanpeace for fucking whales and amnesty for child slave labor, nice work. Thats the way to getter done.

adrock is offline   Reply With Quote