Old 04-07-2007   #1
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Zion Slot Questions

That sweet pic on the home page by Bob Gnarley prompted me to seek out some advice. Were headin to Zion next week to go trollin for some slots. Got a reservation for narrows, subway and mystery. Tried to get a permit for Buckskin but it's booked till June.

Has anyone done these and have any tips to share? Mainly, is it easy to hitch rides instead of having to pay for a shuttle? Any other canyons, slots, hikes, backpacking rec's greatly appreciated too? Been there a couple times but never really off the road. Thanks yo.

Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I did the Narrows over Labor Day in 2005. I'd recommend paying for the shuttle. There is little traffic on the dirt road to the top (you basically dead end at the farm if I remember correctly). We used these guys at a cost of $25pp. Also recommend bringing trekking poles w/the rubber covers for the tips. Lots of photo opportunities! I bought a mini drybag to keep my camera close and dry.

lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Did an overnight through the narrows. Phenomenal place. We rented 5.10 canyoneering shoes and a big ass staff/walking stick from zion adventure company in springdale. They ended up being kick ass. The canyoneering shoes were way better than my best kayak booties for stickiness on rocks, ankle support for walking on rocks in the river, and were self draining to make them a good water shoes. Can't say enough how much of a difference they made.

If you have another day, check out echo canyon. Its easy to get to right in the park. Its got a really cool super narrow slot that you can touch either side of in places. Amazing, but very cold. Bring a wetsuit or drysuit for this one though as its got lots of pools and water.

Slot Canyons of the American Southwest - Zion National Park, Utah - Echo Canyon

Zion is awesome.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #4
Indian Hills, Colorado
There's some great off the beaten path slots out in the Escalante wilderness in Utah. Access from Hole in the Rock road. Watch out for poisenous critters in the slots.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You might want to check out the N. fork of the virgin river to see what the flows are coming through the Narrows. I know they had a really weak snowpack and little runoff, but it still could be fairly significant. Subway should be great though, and you may be able to hitchhike that one, or just take a bike-I don't think it's all that far.

Check out

My pop's site and it's got links to the flows at various points along the N. Fork of the virgin.

Enjoy your trip.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #6
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Right on, thanks! The shoe thing we've been wrestling with for a while now. I think we will do the 5.10 rental dealy AND pay for the Narrows shuttle. Thanks for that, gotta take care of the feet. I think we'll try and hitch subway and loop mystery.

Stubby, your dad's gotta good site, have looked at it before, thanks! I've been watching the levels and they should be fine....knock on wood, knock on wood. I've also been using Tom Jones' very own canyoneering site, some good stuff on there and that american southwest one.

I'll keep my eye out for the creepy crawlers, I scream like a little bitch when I see spiders.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #7
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Did Narrows, Subway, Mystery and Pine Creek last summer. It is a spectacular place! Do Pine Creek if you can, AMAZING!!! Get the shuttle for the Narrows, everything else can be hitched. If you hike over the mountain for Mystery, then the shuttle is provided by NPS. All the anchors were solid. We ran short on water in Mystery, it gets real hot. A short small diameter static line (50 ft of 8 mil) is real useful. We actually dropped a lot of drops on 50 ft of webbing. The water is cold especially in Pine Creek. Several of my buds wore drytops. For the Narrows, two hiking poles make all the difference.

Check this site out:
Zion National Park Index
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #8
aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hey Narrows is sweet but don't go in the rain cause flash flood baby! But hey while your in Zion go and do Angles Landing. Holy crap it is an awsome view just don't chicken out at scout's lookout or else you will miss the view. Just don't fall down the clif while on that narrow brige between Angles and scout's.

Violetwilder33 is offline   Reply With Quote