Old 12-07-2011   #31
Let's say it is 1950 and building an interstate highway system seems like a good idea. Shall we set up a charity and ask for donations? What if the donations reach 30% of the goal. Which highways do you want to build and which cities get screwed? What about the people who didn't donate--It's kind of unfair that they get to use it.

How about saying screw this--1% of taxes go to building the interstate highway system. Everyone pays and everyone can use it. If you don't have a car--too bad, but your grocery supplies will be cheaper.

What kind of charities should we set up to ensure food safety? Or do we abolish food safety and let everyone take a risk. Some companies will get a nice reputation and people will buy them. Now you have big barriers of entry to the new small guys. Food prices will be 2x greater. Ah, libertarianism is great.

How do you deal with polluters?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #32
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm pretty sure we just covered this. And I'm pretty sure you have no intention of addressing my chief argument (because you can't, wimp!). So this is the last I'll say of it on this thread.

Libertarian allows for pollution control, roads, food control is a reach. We would simply use a road tax to pay for roads. They do it in New Zealand, you pay by the mile rather than by your income! It would be easy to implement here by paying for all roads with fuel taxes, which are already in place at a lower than necessary level.

Naturally that gives the dissenters the right to not use roads and not pay for them. I would be willing to bet that there is a real life example of this somewhere where some woodsy dude doesn't want his taxes going to pay for roads that are purpose built for gas guzzling cars. He probably walks everywhere and thinks we all should too.

Encapsulated in the road tax business is pollution control. Tax gas, less consumption.

Food safety need not be the realm of government regulation. Take home made jams that are sold at farm stands (or farm stands for that matter). You take your chances. Grow some balls.

For the record, both sides of the isle have a free loader problem. Its hardly grounds to dissolve your ideology. So some people ride the bus without paying, big deal! You won't invalidate the road tax idea just because you couldn't tax the foot traffic would you?

If Libertarian ideas were a fallacy no one would be able to navigate a sidewalk without a pamphlet from Basil.

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #33
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hey Basil

If your female, i think I'm in love. Want to be my sugar mama? I live near a river.......
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #34
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Death to our Chinese oppressors! Captain!

treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote