Old 08-23-2013   #1
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Wife may be hired in Ashland, OR

I've posted other inquisitive discussions about several communities in the PNW (Bend vs. Boise, etc...) and I figured it's a topic best served in the non-whitewater forum. Paddling is important, for sure, but actual opinions on the communities are much more generalized, so (in the immortal words of Whitesnake) here I go again...

My wife may be offered a nursing job at the hospital in Ashland, OR. Anyone in the area that can provide more perspective on the town in general? I did grow up in Grants Pass, but haven't been around So. Oregon much in the last 15 years. Is Ashland still pretty "yippie", if you understand the term? Too spendy? Close enough to boating for sanity's sake? Could I help break ground on a play feature in Lithia park?

I used to guide on the Rogue, so I will be extremely psyched to be back in the 'hood in that aspect.

Any and all beta is appreciated,

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #2
Southern, Oregon
Ashland is pricey, but I love living here. It's liberal, has a university, and the Shakespeare Festival.

Yes, there is a pretty solid boating community between Grants Pass, Medford, and Ashland. There is even a local email list serve that is a great way to meet boaters.

Since you used to live here you may remember- there are several runs (Rogue & Klamath Rivers) close enough for after work or others that take a couple hours (Umpqua, Sac, Box Canyon, McCloud, Pit,Feather). I guess it's just a matter of your willingness to get in your kayak. There is play wave or two that come in every summer and others in the fall. Basically, the only way you will miss boating around here is to just not go

Unless it's flooding, good luck with kayaking Ashland Creek in Lithia Park.

Hope that helps.
Turtle4amy is offline   Reply With Quote