Damned if I know why. Because it's fun?

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #12
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by David L View Post
Damned if I know why. Because it's fun?
Right? What's wrong with just fun?

Plus it's better than staying home bored and masturbating all day...

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #13
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Good one Schutzie...

My dad was in Vietnam and my grandpa told him..."when you get home...we're going to spend a week doing whatever on earth you want to do". My dad chose to take a trip through the Grand Canyon in 1972. My mom went on the trip and she was two months pregnant with my older sister.

Moved to Colorado in '76 (my birth year) because they wanted to raft, ski, and hike '14er's on the weekends...bought two Avon rafts (that we still have in storage)...and we started running the Ark when I was still in diapers.

It's just...what I know and how I feel close to my family (even if they're not there).

Crazy little tid first trip down the Grand Canyon was in '07...21 days. My grandpa had just had a pretty major surgery two days before I left...a month earlier he was thinking he might be able to make the trip, but as timing would have it, it wasn't in the cards. I stopped by the hospital in Denver on my way out of town...he said "you'll have a blast, wish I could be there, I remember our trip in '72 like it was yesterday...and I'll see you when you get home". He died in the hospital a week later (I'm guessing I was somewhere around Phantom Ranch)....I didn't learn about it until we were in Flagstaff at the hotel two weeks later. grandpa ended up spending a couple weeks with me in the Grand after all.....
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #14
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
Well, yes of course, but WHY is it so enjoyable?

I mean, you think about it for a minute, and it makes little sense. The equipment is expensive, there's a lot of it, you increasingly need government permission, it's a sport where you haul your own............ S%^T ............. literally- everywhere, and it is certainly not the most comfortable sport you can find.
Cuz even with all that, it's still worth it!
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #15
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ok I'll Bite

This is my why: As being a speck, if I am that big, on a small ball of dirt flying through space I am very susceptible to all energies flowing. Water being a polar molecule on a polar planet, holds and discharges the energy of our earth. To sit with that energy brings me great peace and clarity. Mode of engagement is a moot point, participation is only required.
Happy Friday
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #16
Wheredat, USA
I know why! When boating, it makes meaningless everything else in your life that is screwed up.
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #17
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I remember as a small child the first time I went camping and it totally reset my brain, I specifically remember having that epiphany when I got back home.

All the stresses and worries of life dissappear while I'm out in nature and when I get back they seem so insignificant (I was a high strung kid- still am I reckon)

Boating is another opportunity to extend my time in the wild and one of the best/ easiest ways to get away from people.

...I guess I just don't really like people for the most part.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #18
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Good thread topic for pondering on a winter's day while at work.
I'm on the river for many reasons so it seems. To read the water and currents,for the geologic story unfolding, for the oaring and physical work. Camaraderie and shared experiences. Cold beer.
Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #19
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
This one IS good for winter blues, plus I'm at work so even better...

I'm from Arkansas and started with canoe trips on the Buffalo, Mulberry, and Clear Creek in the early 70's. Later we took our carnage show to the Cossatot.

The summer before going to Dartmouth I taught myself to roll a kayak in Squam Lake as a camp counselor, and then joined the Ledyard Canoe Club that fall. Setting new standards for gullibility I was talked into joining the slalom racing group and received the typical rapid indoctrination into Ledyard whitewater river trips. That spring, after a winter of pool slalom and kayak polo, we set out to do the Pemigewasset, naturally at peak run-off and recently ice, where I swam 4 times. Twice from the same hole. I can personally testify that wool is not really warm when wet. Somehow I believed their praise at the take out, with declarations of my excellent performance and natural ability. This lead to 4 memorable seasons of training, races, and spring break trips down the east coast and to Colorado, back when running Pine Creek meant something.

Thirty years later it's been a wonderful lifetime of great river trips, camps, and people. Literally downhill, from snowmelt to ocean. My kids are now into kayaking and I'm buying a new 16' Hyside, so looking forward to many more!

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote