Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-20-2008   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Marko, I agree with the majority of what you wrote,maybe not the continued 'militarism'.My main worry is the 'Nadering ' of this election.I agree with most of what Nader says , have considered voting for him on principle .He had no shot to win. My buddy voted for him and kicks himself to this day for maybe helping Bush win.[Yeah,someone will claim ,Buchannon voters offset Nader somewhat,the closer the margin the easier to monkey with the vote.]I also object to the idea the republicans are gonna 'skate scott free and the dems are to be punished for Bush's fuck ups.It is true Harry 'don't give em' hell' Ried and Nancy ' facial tick' Pelosi ,while sometimes good, have overall been weak.They deserve a C- at best many would say F. Steny' FISA' Hoyer can burn in hell with Tom Delay.My main criticism of the dems is as Palast asks
"Why don't the democrats stand up ?The same reason a jellyfish doesn't."
Where are the good demos like Coumo and Fiengold?They have the better positions but no spine.
IHOWEMT, I was rude to you ,so deserved your reply. I wish we had a multi party system ,hope third parties will rally and at least gain some seats in congress or force part of their agenda on the 2 bigs.The timing is just bad ,imo.

Why isn't Ron Paul the Libertarian Candidate instead of Barr? If he feels so strongly about the 2 bigs ,why won't he leave the reps?Doesn't want to pull a Ben ' Turncoat' Campbell *? Barr's ok on some things,but I remember him leading the witch hunt over Clinton's blowjob.Paul seems more popular anyway.

*Alternate nickname 'The Night Whore'.Did anyone see the debate with a libertarian congressional candidate Doug 'Dayhorse' Campbell,he called himself that, the guy was pretty funny and had some closing remarks libertarians would love.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #12
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I used to refer to Campbell as Ben "Nightsoil"....

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The whole continued militarism thing is tied into the MIC. This power center is out-o-control. I just question whether Obama will have the guts to confront it.

I spent time reading Obama's "defeat terrorism worldwide" plan last night. http://obama.3cdn.net/417b7e6036dd852384_luzxmvl09.pdf If he follows through with this plan to the T, it may restore my belief in a better gov't and a much better approach to foreign policy.

In this he even acknowledges the need to revise the Patriot Act and the FISA Act - among many other things.
Revise the PATRIOT Act. Barack Obama believes that we must provide law
enforcement the tools it needs to investigate, disrupt, and capture terrorists, but he
also believes we need real oversight to avoid jeopardizing the rights and ideals of all
Americans. There is no reason we cannot fight terrorism while maintaining our civil
liberties. Unfortunately, the current administration has abused the powers given to it
by the PATRIOT Act. A March 2007 Justice Department audit found the FBI
improperly and, in some cases, illegally used the PATRIOT Act to secretly obtain
personal information about American citizens. As president, Barack Obama would
revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like
National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material
witness provision.

Eliminate Warrantless Wiretaps. Barack Obama opposed the Bush
Administration’s initial policy on warrantless wiretaps because it crossed the line
between protecting our national security and eroding the civil liberties of American
citizens. As president, Obama would update the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act
to provide greater oversight and accountability to the congressional intelligence
committees to prevent future threats to the rule of law.
This also gives me great hope about restoring our privacy from gov't intrusion. I also think I understand why he voted for the FISA bill - although I could be wrong. Him signing the bill had everything to do with positioning himself so as to not look weak on the war on terrorism. If he didn't sign it the Repubs would be jumping down his throat about his not supporting the war on terror. I think we, however, would need to hold him to this plan of revising the bill once (or if) he is elected.

You know, Ron Paul's campaignforliberty is more about organizing at locals levels to hold the people in power accountable.

The mission of the Campaign for Liberty is to promote and defend the great American principles of individual liberty, constitutional government, sound money, free markets, and a noninterventionist foreign policy, by means of educational and political activity.
Read more about here.. Ron Paul's Campaign For Liberty | The Revolution Continues

As for why he doesn't run as a Libertarian: He explains it somewhere, I just can't find it right now.

And, sorry SJ for highjacking your thread. I'm done now.

marko is offline   Reply With Quote