Old 04-09-2010   #1
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2008
What's your job?

Well it must be nice to be sponsored or a pro kayaker, but not all of us are fortunate and gifted. So what's your job/career that allows you time to get out on the water and to afford gear?

As for me, Im in the military. It allows time almost like any other job if not deployed. Pays is decent for gear, but it's the military and I'm looking to get out. So really I'm just looking for ideas for jobs/careers when I get out. Thanks!

duckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #3
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
my job is to spend as much time not working as trying to work 14hr shifts so i only gotta work 3 days a week....this 4 day work week really cuts into my ski and boat a desiel mechanic....
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I am an independent contractor who does carpet, upholstery, tile steam's difficult to have an outdoor related job and stay in one place. I know many who push rubber in the summer and bump chairs in the winter, but they generally have 2+ months off in the fall.
I only work when people call and make appointments, so I get lots of powder days off in the winter, and get lots of 4-5pm launches on the river in the summer + weekends.

I would like to personally thank you for your military service and wish you luck in the job search.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm a playground safety inspector. Now that your done laughing. Seriously it's a real job.
Toan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #6
B.F.E., Wyoming
I'm a fly shop monkey.
Shitty pay but good hours and great perks
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #7
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Become a teacher, get summers off. Or a job like a nurse (or diesel mechanic) that lets you do 3x12's for your work week.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #8
Birmingham, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm a full time father, and a part time bad ass.
bamackc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #9
Lots of paddlers/skiers I know are RN's. Godd pay, lots of time off, flexible schedule, live anywhere, always in demand....
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #10
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

Yeah, my life is pretty crappy for a few months (don't want to think of the number of hours I've put in this weekend and how many more I still have left tonight), but I get flexibilty back the rest of the year. I will probably never be able to do the Salt, but I have been able to take multi-week trips most Novembers... great time for exploring Australia, paddling Mexico, rowing The Grand and sailing the BVI's. And, when the water is good, work slows... this will be four years straight headed to Idaho for a 1-2 week trip in May/June. Plus, it's paid time off (25 vacation plus 5 personal). And job security... 'death and taxes,' as they say.

I decided on this path before living in CO and enjoying the outdoor world, but it isn't too bad. If I could do it over again, nursing school would be calling. I've looked into making a change, but I'm a bit too vested in my current career.

Best of luck!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote