Old 04-18-2010   #41
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
My number one occupation is stealing women from their men.
Do you have a work card, I could of used your services ten years and probably saved myself a lot of trouble?

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #42
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Hate to burst the firefighter bubble, but your odds are about 1 in 1000 of getting a FF job if you are not a paramedic. There are no qualifications that you cant pick up in 2 months to test for a FF job, and the competition is pretty tough.
Now that being said, I am currently working as a medic (not for a fire dept right now) and work 92 days a year. I have sick time on top of that. I am out every day off and pull down about 50k a year, but I have only been with this company for a year. You can go to medic school in 2 years and be done. Then you just have to figure out how to afford to have 250 days off a year. ha ha.

fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #43
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Down in the barn uh shovel'n shit, purty good job, but think i'll quit.

I am a DBA (Database Admin). The pay is good and I am with a good company now with decent vacation and benefits. I can raise a family on the pay and still have enough money for a few toys.

Work with a few select people and the rest of the time you interact with software and servers. Work is not to bad except when you have an upgrade or something is offline; then the proverbial gun is at your head and it can be enormously stressful.

On call rotation is 2 weeks on and 4 weeks off.

Technology work can suck big if you get into a company with a cut throat culture

It's kinda like this sometimes:
possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #44
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
what's your job?

I work for The Adventure Company on the Arkansas and Colorado rivers.
shrediknite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #45
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Anyone know a good veteranarian? I bet if there were only a kayaking vet, he'd cut me a deal on care and I'd have his home phone so I could call and ask him questions about my dog's liquid brown with a touch of greenish shit. That'd be a great job?

I could also use my windows washed...
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #46
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009

i kill mosquitoes- for real. I work 4 days a week april-early october, boat on the weekends, and after work. Then I am lucky enough to travel during the off season and go climbing around the world, ski/ride where i see fit, and really just live life until skeeter season comes back around. Not a bad way to go...
"Only the boring get bored...."
ldemuth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #47
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Partner in a firm that does data forensics. We gather insurance payment data from hospitals and doctors and after much discovery, find where the health insurance companies didn't pay what they were contractually obligated to pay. We get a nice big cut of the pie. A real nice big cut at that.

Our vacation policy is: see ya when you get back, whenever that is.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #48
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm a Journeyman Lineman. Basically I build,fix and maintain powerlines. The works not bad. Make good money. Get 2 weeks vac. 2 weeks sick time and 1 week PLV (personal leave). Lineman get some of the best medical insurance in the country. The down side is, its dangerous as all get out. You only get one mistake and it doesn't have to be you that made it. Pretty cool though, I hold death in my hands on a daily basis. Although life insurance is kinda high,.... if you can get it.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #49
Avon, co Paddling Since: 2000
I'm a struggling bilingual construction author. Engineering, CM, anything I can get these days. Working at concerts and events is good easy weekend pay when things are tough. freedom is epic but hand to mouth and constant struggle is a minus. You do so much work and promoting for free. When I gave up on the residential construction market I traveled well in India for 5 months on 4k. I have a friend who was an officer in the US air force and after 5 years quit and saved up enough money to travel for 4 years! he's a cheap ass though! now out of the military for 5 years the gov is paying for him to go to school in Australia with housing alloance and he never even has to return to the service....some new GI bill thing...looking at this post for myself as well...A bilingual licensed professional engineer and published author who can't find a job in the rockies near skiing and paddling...
empowered by the spirit of the Nizz
gnarseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #50
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
joe if its coming out its rear end its probably sick dude. maybe it has a case of giardia up the shoot. sorry man. or could just be the ass glands of the dog.. you are supposedly suppose to get them cleaned out(vommit in my mouth). if its rubbing its ass(ei, like a dog that needs to scratch its own spynxter on the ground like its got a itch thats probably the problem...

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote