Old 11-20-2008   #1
B.F.E., Wyoming
What Photoshop do you Use?

I've beenlooking into getting a photo shop but theres way too many choices and they are EXPENSIVE.
I'm looking for a good photo editing and design.
I don't even know what I want but I do want an upgrade from the basic photo editing programs where all you can do is red eye and crop.

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #2
Durango, Colorado
Lightroom and Aperture are good if all you're wanting to do is photo editing/printing/etc.
Photoshop elements is good if you want a little more design capability.
Full version Photoshop is obviously the most capable and expensive. You can usually find PS 7, CS or CS 2 (v.8 & 9 respectively).

There's also a freeware "photoshop" called Gimp as well as an online (free I think) version of Photoshop, but I have used neither and don't really know a lot about either one.

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #3
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

GIMP ROCKS!!!! I have the whole CS3 suite but teach classes on GIMP at the community college. It will do almost everything that PS CS3 will. Lots of tutorials around for it too. Dont be a slave to the 800 pound gorilla. GO OPEN SOURCE!!!
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm a full Photoshop guy myself, but if your needs are pretty basic, Photoshop Elements should suffice.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #5
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
The options that have been mentioned all sound really good. If you want to persue photshop then look and see if you can get a previous version such as cs, cs2, or cs3 as they have not changed the core of the program significantly, mostly just bells and whistles, maybe interface changes. Just be sure to get a legal copy if you want to upgrade later.

For others looking into this thread... i just got CS4 and like the new options but have had to update the dirver for my graphics card as well as my wacom. I have been having some speed issues. While the new interfaces and changes are cool... i am frustrated anyone else having that problem?

Also dont bother with getting PS extended.

Elements will more than likely be all you need.

A great source to learn about how to use photoshop is Learning @ Your Own PaceŽ - I do the monthly subscription and find invaluable. After using PS for nearly 10 years now I learned more about the depth of that program in 2 weeks using lyndas video tutorials than all of the ten years previeously.
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #6
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Gimpshop is the only way to go bro. IT IS FREE and if there's anything full blown photoshop can do that GIMP can't, I haven't found it. And I'm pretty decent at this stuff.

Did I mention it's completely free?
TimberTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #7
B.F.E., Wyoming
So I took your advice and loaded gimp. here is a rough job I just did for the skirt design. Gimp has exactly what I wanted. I just need to use it a lot more and learn a bit more about it.
I loaded this on here using photoshop online. It also has the basic editing but it allows you to go from your computor to the internet.Also free worked well.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #8
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Originally Posted by TimberTroll View Post
Gimpshop is the only way to go bro. IT IS FREE !

Did I mention it's completely free?
Sounds like socialized (Oh Noes!) software to me!

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote