Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 12-15-2006   #1
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
what is the section of the gunnison below delta like?

ive heard snippets about a canoe crash on this section from my dad, so there must be at least one drop on it? anyone done it?

&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006   #2
I ran Escalante/Dominguez Canyons in July 05 in a canoe, (Escalante to Whitewater). It's basically a float. The first half is kind of fun. Two or three class II drops with some semi-fast moving flat water in between. The highlight of the trip is camping at Big Dominguez Creek. If you hike up the canyon you'll come upon a rock with petraglyphs. If you follow the creek back down, there's a cool waterfall. The Gunnison below Dominguez creek is pretty flat & boring. I think it was around 2000 cfs when we ran it. I don't know what it would be like in the winter.

boatnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I floated it once in June of 05 at 3-3500cfs. It would take some serious convincing to ever go again. Only a few riffles approached class 2. The only redeeming value is the hiking and scenery in Dominguez canyon, which is spectacular. Most of the water is truly flat with scenery that is pretty marginal outside of big d canyon.

Keep in mind my experience was clouded by a mosquito factor that out did anything I've expererienced before or since.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #4
I've done it from Cofluance park in Delta to Whitewater, think it was in 97 but it was 12K cfs (plenty for my 18') Once you pass the bridge to the "Honor" Camp its pretty enough..remember seeing several old waterwheels and pioneer type reminints. All was flat as folks have said, nice redrock down around Dads Flats and two great hikes from Domingues and p-lenty of desert bighorns to been seen.
WAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #5

hey - if you're a climber, there are 5 routes (that i know of) that have been put up in dominguez.

most routes within 0-half mile from river.

on right as you walk up from gunnison
confluence wriggle - 5.9
domingitory crackmaster - 5.11+
maiden voyage - 5.8

on left as you walk up from gunnison
cashed out - 5.8+
can't remember - 5.9

look for bolts/chains - all painted, but may be seen with a keen eye.

makes for fun float trip/climbing, if you're into that.

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #6
SLC, Utwah
Booze cruise! Have done it from Delta to Whitewater in a very long day, and have also done it a hand full of times from Escalanta down while camping at Dominguez. We have had to share the campsites at Dominguez with canoe outfitters before but it wasn't to bad. There have been break-ins at the take out in the past. I wouldn't recommend going past Whitewater due to a roller dam over by the Redlands. I think it was last summer that someone had died there.

AndTheLab is online now   Reply With Quote