Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

View Poll Results: What is your highest level of formal education?
High School Dropout 0 0%
High School Graduate 2 6.45%
Bachelors Degree 16 51.61%
Masters/MBA 12 38.71%
PhD or other Doctorate 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to kevintee
What is the extent of your formal education?

As all of this political and economic talk has been going around I have been wondering what everyones level of formal education is. This is curious to me because of all the people in my life my favorite person to talk to is my uncle who holds a HS diploma and is just amazingly well read. Anyways, I'm just curious and I feel like the average buzz member is very intelligent whether they have gone for higher learning or not.

I want to thank everyone who participates in the discussions because I really value the discourse that gets worked out on here and truly value debating with many of you.

University of Denver Kayak Club
Got a boat or gear to get rid of? PM me and donate!
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Kevin - the discussions that take place in here are stimulating and informative. Where else can you learn about the rivers and mountains we all love... and rant about politics in the same place?

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #3
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Went to Cornell, ya ever heard of it? I graduated in 4 years, never studied once, I was drunk the whole time, and... I sang in the a cappella group Here Comes Treble.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
HS drop outs but no voting for college drop outs?

How about those of us (cough...cough..) who dropped out of HS but then attained a degree?
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Partial college education,bonehead decisions and lack of money.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #6
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
im with cayo
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
KT, There's a lot more to people's opinions and ideals than their education. Life experience is usually much more informative and impactful than anything that one learns at the Bachelors level of education. My philosophies and positions on life, politics and society to name a few (and apparently quite different from yours) are based on an odd childhood, service in the military, jobs ranging from digging ditches and ranching cattle to consulting on energy usage and making documentary movies, the two business that I’ve successfully started and the dozens of trips I’ve made overseas. I can top it off with B.A.s in History and Geography and an M.A. in International Policy (with an emphasis on the environment), but these “measures of success” don’t have nearly the impact that my experiences have had. This life experience has led me to agree most often with a philosophy of compassion for my fellow man, a willingness to share what I have with those that have none, a concern for future generations (I’m talking 20+ generations down the line, not just my grandkids), an ability to make do with what I have, not what I can have, etc. Judging by the tone of many of your posts, I’m tempted to make the assumption that you find these attributes to be “failures of personality,” which is precisely the condescending and selfish attitude that I find so nasty about most conservative commentary. I do hope that this assumption would be false. Also, I wonder if you realize that your forcefully stated “absolutes” on finance and economics are the same or similar to those that we’ve (those of us with a bit more decrepitude in our weary bones) have heard before from the likes of Reagan and Bush the 1st (and from others before my time as well I’m sure). I applaud your obvious zeal and desire to learn more, and your willing participation in arguing your points, and encourage you to think critically and creatively outside the repeated exhortations of your professors and reading assignments as well as the noisy pundits on the Left and Right sides of economic theory. As an obviously intelligent member of the next level of decision makers, it’s up to you to find solutions and alternatives to the failed theories and policies of the past 50 years.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #9
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Now Kevin, you don't get to count your degree until you get your paper, son....

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #10
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
DU alumni myself, class of 93, School of Engineering.

There was no kayak club or ski team in my time. I was a officer of the Alpine Club, I wonder what they are up to now.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote

buzz, degree, education