Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

View Poll Results: What did you think of "An Inconvenient Truth"?
Pure Baloney 2 6.06%
Distorted the issue 3 9.09%
Perhaps it is true, but I'm not convinved 0 0%
Yea, the arguments made sense, but it's not that big of a deal 0 0%
Yea, I agree with the movie and we should take stronger action on global warming 18 54.55%
I didn't see it, but I don't trust it to be fair 1 3.03%
I don't need to see it to accept we should take strong action on global warming 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2007   #41
The Prez finally pulls his head out of Cheney's a#$

Straight from the Prez's own mouth during the State of the Union:

America is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that will enable us to live our lives less dependent on oil. And these technologies will help us be better stewards of the environment, and they will help us to confront the serious challenge of global climate change. (Applause.)

Six years WAY too late, but better than never. I congratulate him (choke!) for finally stepping up.

My .02 cents on this thread. It is not about stopping or reversing climate change. It is about preparing for and mitigating the severity of the impacts.

American policy is basically pedicated on national security. This includes threats to our economy, energy resources, safety, way of life, etc. If the environmental "frame" for climate change leaves some of you gagging and foaming at the mouth, ponder the following from the national security perspective.

1) Changes in climate will and are having profound impacts on food production and water supplies. Recall Maslow's heirarchy of needs - food and water. We are already dealing with severe water issues in the West. All hell can break loose economically and politically as the world's bread baskets are being redistributed. We Americans have had it pretty easy minus that thing called the Depression - our one big drought, famine, economic national tragedy.

2) Our dependence on fossils fuels and imported energy supplies have gotten us into some relatively nasty foreign snafus. Sustainable alternative technolgies are available which can benefit our economy through local production.

- Is reducing our dependence on foreign energy supplies a bad thing?
- Is becoming more energy and resource efficient a bad thing?
- Is improving air and water quality a bad thing?
- Is water efficiency a bad thing? (please, how can any paddler say keeping water in the river is a bad thing????)

Addressing climate change from a national security policy perspective is responsible regardless is you feel humans contribute or not.

And heck, if we don't do anything, we will probably be wishing for something more drastic to wipe us off the planet like an insignificant gnat rather than this incremental and subtle change. You think the winter paddling haitus is long? We can only hope the Buzz will still be here to allow us to talk about paddling cuz we are gonna be too damn hungry to paddle and the rivers will be dry.

moshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #42
Denver, Colorado
America is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that will enable us to live our lives less dependent on oil. And these technologies will help us be better stewards of the environment, and they will help us to confront the serious challenge of global climate change. (Applause.)
I have a problem with the "technology will save us" idea. Sure, it might... but if it is a "serious challenge", why not start conserving now in case it fusion won't work?
My guess is that he'll start pushing coal. Anyone want to start a "clean coal" debate?

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #43
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde

global warming is a natural cycle, even if we're the one speeding it up. <shrug> It was bound to happen sooner or later. Personally, I store and hoard. I keep my weapons clean and at the ready should I need them. I believe all the hype about global warming. All it will take is a cooling of a couple of the major warm ocean currents, like the Gulf Stream. People who were stupid enough to live at or slightly above sea-level will soon realize their peril. Even the insurance companies have now stopped insuring home in coastal areas.

Should something happen, like the beginning of an ice-age, do not expect the government to do anything but sit on their fat asses in Washington, regardless if they're Republicans or Democrats. They're only different in name and some minor cosmetic beliefs.

Keep your food stocks up, your rifle clean and oiled, your ammo dry, you may need it.

mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote