Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

View Poll Results: What did you think of "An Inconvenient Truth"?
Pure Baloney 2 6.06%
Distorted the issue 3 9.09%
Perhaps it is true, but I'm not convinved 0 0%
Yea, the arguments made sense, but it's not that big of a deal 0 0%
Yea, I agree with the movie and we should take stronger action on global warming 18 54.55%
I didn't see it, but I don't trust it to be fair 1 3.03%
I don't need to see it to accept we should take strong action on global warming 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2007   #11
At this point I will say I haven't seen the movie. And think Gore is prone to exageration. But messing with you righties about all your failed governing is just to much fun.
You mention taxes. The national debt has gone 1 trillion to 4 trillion in the last 6 years yet another example of your deep thinking and poor policy making. In other words your foreign(or are we winning in Iraq now) and fiscal policy have been disaterous for our country so convintional wisdom says you enviornmental policy is just as out of touch with reality. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #12
Georgia Moonshine
7.48? the number of innocent Iraqi's that would be spared if you libs let us have nu-clear power?

7.48 inches, the rainfall deficit for 2006 in CO?

TB is leaving the building now, you all get your buzzard feathers ruffled if my daily post count gets to high. Calm down and give each other a group hug.

Trout_Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #13
Oh don't go away mad TB just cuz I promted you to pour your heart out in a long post that I did'nt even care about.

7.48 was the total percipitation for the front range in 2002. Making it the lowest total in the 130 years of record keeping.

7.48 was also the total percipitation for the front range on Dec 18th 2006 the day this storm system started. So even with this blizzard followed by a big storm 06 will still be a bottom 10 year in percipitation since record keeping began.

So anyone using the storm as proof either way on global warming is being emotional and not Scientific IMO.

And for the record you got hooked TB and you know it. And further more I think Al Gore and the far left inhabit the same section of LA LA land you do. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #14
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
1. the movie did a good job of wrapping all the elements of the issue in an easy-to-swallow (if a bit long-running) feature film format for the masses. the movie wasn't meant for "the choir" -- we are already well aware that overconsumption & pollution are adversely affecting the systems around us, but it did help by documenting all the science in one place. it's for the masses of ambivalent & unaware, & in that regard, if the ratings say anything at all, it was a successful film.

2. re "megalomaniacal" gore .. i doubt that. when my friends & i left the theater a couple months ago, we debated at length about the inclusion of those parts from his politcal life. what i later came to understand is that those parts were milestones in the guy's life. they happen to include making it to the level of president-for-a-minute, which in any man's lifetime is a tremendous accomplishment. i see those parts as being autobiographichal moreso than political grandstanding or pompously ego-driven. fact is, the guy won the popular vote & then had it pulled from him by the court -- it was a big part of his life & the film needed a "life story" to go along with the "slideshow". are you guys clued-in on the behind-the-scenes documentary spike jonze did on gore & his family back in '00? for whatever reason, it never was released, but at the time would have killed the whole notion of gore being a dud personality. it's very revealing & fun to watch. you can check it here:
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #15

well - didn't see the movie, but i definitely think it is a HUGE problem that we need to start realistically doing something about.

obviously, what actions these are will be a long and vigorous debate.

However, I love to hear the anti-warming people continue to rationalize their position about why we should not restrict carbon emissions. They will keep their heads in the sand until things are imminent, then pull out long enough to blame the left.

it's like we're floating into a monster keeper hole, can see it coming, people on the banks warning us about it, yet we refuse to move left or right because we're not convinced its a keeper. The paddle strokes required take too much effort, and we're having such a party in the middle of the flow.

So of course i support gore and hope that he and others can wake up enough of america to do something about it. This resistance is about greed - period. Somehow, i don't really buy the idea that the anti-warming community really doubts the science at this point (maybe 5-10 years ago), but i do buy the idea that they realize that there will be a price to pay in order to avoid disaster, and the longer they can hold off this sacrifice, the more their personal gains will be. Then, the pundits do their job (quite well actually) and provide fodder to their followers, to continue this lack of action.

to my anti-warming friends....I wish you could be on your own sinking boat, and head straight into that keeper. but that's not the way the world works. I'll remind you, however, that even the bushies are changing their stance on this issue. And after 08, it really won't matter what bush and friends think. Republican or Democrat, the nation will have a new global warming policy about 5 minutes after someone takes office. At that time, R. Limbaugh and the other pundits that feed the anti-warming fodder will drop this battle, and move on to restricting gay people's rights, removing the inheritance tax, mandating pre-emptive war, increasing corporate influence on public policy, or other worthwhile right wing agenda.

If my conservative friends would only live up to their name and actually conserve something, we'd be doing better.

So TB - lets be straight here on your position. You do a great job cutting and pasting and showing us where gore got it wrong, but I do not see any statements telling me where you stand on the issue. Is it possible that Gore got some of the details wrong, but you still agree with him? or is it the more typical - gore got it wrong, and so did everyone else who believes this crap?

I'm going to guess that you're a little stuck on this one, cause you've toted the party line that it (warming) is a bunch of crap, but now your party subconsciously (or conciously...maybe the better adverb would be quietly) realizes that they have been wrong, and are in the process of backstepping and trying to save face, instead of just admitting they were wrong. How's that? did i get the position about right? please tell me, i'm quite curious.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #16
Denver, Colorado
This is the most important thing you need to know about the Gore movie.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #17
Denver, Colorado
New today-

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #18
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I haven't seen it.......and I don't typically get into the political threads. However, I've always been of the firm belief that mother earth will shake us off like a bunch of pesky fleas when she feels like it. Can we slow down the steaming locomotive?? Sure we can, but the entire WORLD has to saddle-up.

BSOE got it right, we are nothing more than a virus on the planet, an annoying little bug. BUT, we can plant a tree or not cut as many down (amongst many other things).

One more thing, how should we go about plugging all the viscious valcano's that pump noxious gas into the atmosphere when they erupt (Mt. Pinatubo for example), essentially causing the same damage to our atmosphere?

I'm not saying that humans pumping additional crap into the atmoshphere is acceptable, I'm just saying there are uncontrollable (natural) factors as well.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Nice analogy with heading into the big ass hole, except... that some of us like to punch holes and go in intentionally!

I think Bush may have a solution.... the link below explains.

Seriously though, rational conservation, increased efficiency, and a plan for sustainable long term energy sources are good ideas regardless of what kind of political spin you put on the global warming debate, which reeks more of petty politics than science anyway.

I saw the movie and I liked it. I thought Gore did a pretty good job explaining the global warming movement to the everyman. Although flying around in planes and helicopters to explain global warming is a bit like coaching the AA meeting via videoconference from the bar. That gave me a chuckle. If Gore got his pudgy ass on a bike and rode coast to coast to give the message I would have been impressed.

I still have a hard time with how we can decouple the intrinsic global climate changes (which we seem to not be able to predict) from the human influenced impact. The problem that I have is that all of the connections and predictions are based on computer models which are created by humans with assumptions to simplify as system way to complex to fully model. I've tried to read up on the details, and I am always left with questions on how accurate the models are, and how accurately we can model such large systems that depend on small changes.

It also bugs me that global warming is almost always portrayed in a way to prove a point or support a cause. You never hear a global warming guy say sea levels will rise and there will be drought in the midwest, but the upside is that africa will get triple the rainfall and increased temperatures will extend growing seasons providing food for millions. Scientists usually report the results with an emotionally detatched analysis showing both sides. Media, politicians, and people with a vested interest prove the point that they want to make, and use only the data that supports their cause, which makes me skeptical of the underlying reasons behind it. For those reasons, I find the information pumped out by both the contrarian, economically driven, denying faction, and the come to jesus, its the truth, the world as we know it is ending, factions to both be suspect. I wish for more credible unbiased information, as I hope that we could have a rational intelligent discourse without slamming each other with childish political insults.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #20
No matter what your opinion is of global warming, you must admit that AIT was as much about promoting Al Gore as it was about environmental issues. I agreed with most of the messages, but I don't trust the messenger. He's just another self-serving politician and his "documentary," should be enough to prove it to everyone who had to suffer through it.

farp is offline   Reply With Quote