Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 07-18-2013   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Westwater Canyon Ticket For Extra People

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for sneaking extra people on a trip? I'm in a pinch with a permit and having overfilled it, and wondering what the consequences might be. Thanks for your input!

JiffyPopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've never had to deal with it myself but when the ranger does a headcount at check in and sees you've got too many people, you may not get to launch or it may be time to boot some of your participants off the trip. A lot of volunteer rangers (like myself, Rich P, Mongo, Buck, etc.) are on MB and someone who's dealt with it, or the full time rangers could answer your question better. Send a PM to MB user "BLM Moab" with a link to this thread and the head Ranger for Westy may answer it for you.

If you don't want to stuff people into dryboxes for a few hours while you rig until you get around the first bend, just tell the extras that's what they will have to do and they'll probably pass on the trip anyway. But seriously, you could also just put up a message here and other groups (Utahrafters, GCPBA, etc.) and see if any other permit holders are willing to cancel excess spots on their permits so you can enlarge your permit.

Good luck,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off