Old 07-30-2011   #1
The next zone, .
USA Pro Cycling Challenge...

So who else is going to watch this race?

It is great to see a race like this come to Colorado and the stage from Gunny over "the wood" down into BV then over Indy to Aspen should play right into the hands of Andy and Frank Shleck.. Two passes over 12k ft in one day should make for some great racing. Also winner of the Tour De France - Cadel Evans will also be racing - fair to say the best in the world will be here!!

I plan on making it to the top of Monarch and then camp near the top of Indy to catch the boys go by. After that it will be off to Archery huntin camp so I will miss the end of the race.

For any who dont know this race is not like the ride the rockies where it seems that every overweight front "ranger" squeezes their drippy fat rolls into some spandex then rides 4 deep on open roads... These boys are the best in the world and it will be great to see them compete on some of the highest Mtn passes a road race has ever gone over.

Great to see Colorado support a event like this.

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #2
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah, this will be very significant and very cool. Can't wait to see all the heli shots in our own neck of the woods. If I was not committed to working the event setup in town I would camp on the west side of Cottonwood to see them climb it then jeep back over Taylor to see them finish in Aspen. Camping on Indy will be really cool, too.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hope the event is as good as the build up. Having the podium from the Tour de France is pretty exciting, psyched to see so many mtn towns included. Should be awesome to see them race, will rally for them coming through the boat.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #4
pnw, Washington
Its going to be a great race. I am not sure that cottonwood and indy pass have enough steepness to really get the climbers out to play. I hear Contador might try to make it out as well. I was going to try to make it to Indy pass in the morning, riding up to the summit. Do you think it will require you to camp and get there the night before?
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
This is going to be awesome. I wonder why they didn't include a stage from Boulder to Winter Park over Trail Ridge road? Isn't the west side of Cottonwood pass dirt? I remember horrible washboard on that road - it could be the new "hell of Colorado" section, bike companies will build a bike specifically for it like they do for the Paris-Roubaix.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #6
pnw, Washington
Only the uphill on cottonwood will be dirt. They wont be on roubaix like bikes due to the fact that there will be two longer climbs. They might run a bit wider tires.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote