Trump Appoints Water Lobbyist to Oversee – Water - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

laramie, wy
Paddling Since: 2010
Trump Appoints Water Lobbyist to Oversee – Water

From Water Deeply article - https://www.newsdeeply.com/water/executive-summaries/2017/05/05?

Until November, David Bernhardt worked as a lobbyist for Westlands Water District in California’s San Joaquin Valley, the largest irrigation district in the nation. Then he joined President Donald Trump’s transition team. And now he will officially join the administration as deputy Interior secretary, overseeing agencies like the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, which provides water to Westlands, his former client.

Trump, who vowed to “drain the swamp” of lobbyist influence, has instead appointed many lobbyists to key posts. Bernhardt has long and influential connections to Westlands, helping the irrigation district in its decades-long fight to weaken environmental protections and secure more water for its farmers. Bernhardt and his law firm have been paid more than $1.2 million by Westlands for this work.

These efforts reached new heights at the end of 2016. Bernhardt also helped write amendments to a comprehensive water law carried by Sen. Dianne Feinstein that steers more water to Westlands. He was a major force behind another bill, HR 6366, that gives Westlands higher-priority access to water diverted from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and forgives a $375 million debt Westlands owes the federal government.

His new position at Interior puts Bernhardt in a position to influence a controversial water tunnel project designed to send even more water to Westlands.

“Bernhardt is a walking conflict of interest,” U.S. Rep. Jared Huffman, a California Democrat, told McClatchy News. “He should absolutely have to recuse himself from anything having to do with Westlands Water District.”

Kirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Man this guy is a fucktard (trump) sorry to ruffle your political feathers if you pick republicon over demirat, but trump is a Jack ass( not saying Hillary would have been good either. At least the Demiratats didn't have a war on the environment. Argh.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Luckily I'm leaving for a river trip, so will be ignoring the hate mail for picking on the Don.
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Yeah, a nice long one. Hope to see you on the D.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
The swamp is a swamp because there is actually nowhere for it to drain.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Well, Schutzie has been busy moving and getting retired, so as usual, he's late to the party.

To be clear, Schutzie voted against Clinton, so yes, he voted for the pompous gas bag. Matter of choosing which poison one wanted to imbibe ...............

Anyway, Schutzie won't be defending Trump's appointments, or, for that matter, attacking them. He notes only that the man is President and will appoint who he damn well pleases, and fire who he damn well pleases.

Everything else is pretty much political rhetoric.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
I don't know how one could have voted for either.

However, I did have some hopes that if it was going to be Trump it would be nice to cut back on Washington Regulars, Bankers and Lobbyists. Plus getting along with the Russians sounded good.

Foolish me.

On a positive note I understand more about Narcissism than before.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The coal miners will all get their jobs back, we won't be paying for any wall, and there will be tons of new jobs resulting from the elimination of all those pesky environmental regulations.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Traitor Trump just gave away classified secrets to the Russians on top of all his other impeachable offenses. Call, email, fax and write your representative it's time to take our country back.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
No, we have sunk so low, I'm simply leaving the country (that's why all my boating gear is for sale).
redrockbear is offline   Reply With Quote

« Religions | - »