Trevor Noah on BLM. Do you agree? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trevor Noah on Black Lives Matter?
YES 10 58.82%
NO 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2017   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Trevor Noah on BLM. Do you agree?

There is a lot that can be discussed about this video but Trevors main point was that because some people are killing cops and creating violence in the name of BLM does not mean that we should judge BLM on the actions of those people. And.. that It doesn't matter what they call themselves or "in what name they are doing it" but that BLM and any other, should be judged on the official stance and narrative of that organization.

My question is; "Do you agree with Trevor Noah"?

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017   #2

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Treveor, is a joke. His sarcastic attack and twisting of words is nuts. Using words like "Why are you angry?" when the expression is clearly frustration is a specific choosing of words to change the perception of truth. This is liberal media at its finest.

I am on Tomi's side "she is so hot right now!"
Old 01-07-2017   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yes I more or less agree with Trevor' s take.So you can't respond intelligently to the other thread about reverse discrimination,so you start this one to whine about Black Lives Matter and liberal media?The woman who clearly has an ax to grind is just frustrated not angry ?Is liberal media as guilty of twisting things to anywhere near the extent of, oh say,Fox,Brietbart,Rush Limbaugh,Glen Beck,Michael Savage,Mike Rosen,and a slew of other right wing pundits spewing false narratives for going on 30 years now.The lady starts her tirade off with lies about "paid protesters"( has been debunked by fact checkers) and that the movement believes that'" Black Lives Matter More".To be sure,they could have picked a better name for the movement .She depicts the Occupy Wall Street protesters as spoiled cry babies,as though they had no legitimate grievances.Yet ,conservatives are bigger cry babies about much lesser transgressions visited upon them.It is true that protesters are often college kids from affluent families that are not really victimized much themselves.At least they have a conscience and identify with mistreated people and are against economic injustice.The lady claimed she is not a victim,yet her whole screed revolved around fomenting notions of white conservative victimhood.Noah also correctly pointed out the social dynamics of crowd behavior ,regardless of race or ideology some people will cross the line in that situation.I am more sympathetic to groups that have legitimate basis' to protest than those from the dominant privileged group.
You guys take the cake !The only guy that at least had the guts to respond on the other thread reverted to the " the Bible is true because it says so " line of reasoning.Please read some real books for once.I'll define real book as one that makes you smarter not dumber.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Yes I more or less agree with Trevor' s take.So you can't respond intelligently to the other thread about reverse discrimination,so you start this one to whine about Black Lives Matter and liberal media?The woman who clearly has an ax to grind is just frustrated not angry ?
Cayo, what the hell are you talking about? Geez, talk about being angry. I didn't see any other thread about reverse discrimination.

As I said in the opening post there is a lot that can be said about the video. I personally disagree with Trevor more than I agree with with him, and in this very video he demonstrated some disonest narrative, but in this video I think Tomi did a poor job and I agree with Trevors point that BLM should be judged on their offical stance and not on actions of others.
That is what this is about, but thanks for the insults.
Old 01-07-2017   #5

Denver, Colorado
A)you have been participating in the religion thread that turned into discussion of reverse discrimination .

b) never said I was'nt angry and frustrated with people making specious arguments and desirous of theocratic policies.I am for good reason.

c)what dishonest narrative are you specifically referring to.?..should conservative and religious narratives be held to the same standard?
Old 01-07-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
OB 1 ,I see you have not chimed in on that thread recently .I will take you at your word you had not read it.I apologize for being so aggressive towards you.I do not take back any stated position on issues.T he argument was directed at more comments than just yours. sorry jay
Old 01-07-2017   #7
Was here

Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Treveor, is a joke. His sarcastic attack and twisting of words is nuts. Using words like "Why are you angry?" when the expression is clearly frustration is a specific choosing of words to change the perception of truth. This is liberal media at its finest.

I am on Tomi's side "she is so hot right now!"
+1 on both points here.

He never really let her answer his question of how, but kept interrupting her when she tried to speak. I'd love to see them in an actual debate on this topic if it's really that important. The type of debate with equal amounts of supporters from each side in the audience and time (uninterrupted) to actually shape & formulate the answer you want without the other person bullying and being rude whilst your obviously liberal supporting audience is heckling in the background. Or - maybe he could come on her show - jus' saying...

Like her, I believe that if you want to be a jack-wagon in the name of something (i.e. BLM in this case) then you represent it (BLM) weather or not they want you to or not. After all, BLM never came out and denounced these protesters for their deplorable behavior did they? Sooooo, I guess they must condone them then...

Own it why don't cha libs? And understand Trump is who the republican party gave us as a the "other candidate" choice. If the democrats would have given us someone better than crooked BillHillary, this independent vote would very likely have cast his vote for them (him or her). Realistically, Donald Trump was the only Republican in the entire US whom BillHillary could have defeated - and BillHillary was the only Democrat in the US whom Trump could have beat. Think about that one.

Yes, these issues are all related.

[Chanting voice] Hands up - don't shoot, Hands up - don't shoot, Hands up - don't shoot, Hands up - don't shoot,
Old 01-09-2017   #8

cedar city, Utah
Disagreeing with a movement and organization is fine but it requires rigor and investigation to do so effectively.

1) The notion that the BLM movement has been silent after violence committed in their name is emperically wrong and easily disproven. Just a week ago they made a statement against violence and the importance of protecting the mentally ill after the hideous attacks in Illinois:
"Black Lives Matter has consistently called for less violence, not more. Like our family in Chicago, we condemn this behavior and support the local community in their search for answers and a restorative justice process"

2) The "community" they speak of is inclusive, not limited to intra-racial politics. They constantly cite restorative justice which requires working across classic legal and socio-political barriers to make communities stronger.

3) Trevor Noah's performance has been lackluster and problematic at moments. The Daily Show is clearly left-leaning and has owned that for years. Their bias would only be a problem if they tried to disguise it. Conflating their comedy and entertainment with journalism is the entire purpose of their existence. The rise of corporate, cable news shows on Fox and CNN gave way to a troubling trend that their satire exploited. Infotainment that they satirize is killing democracy and we can see much of the repurcusions across the internet, including here. Citizens take Bill O'Reilly or Lemon at face value and confuse unfounded opinion with vetted news. It creates a vicious cycle of misinformation. Just look back at #1 here to understand how people make statements without fact checking.

4) Trevor's mistakes don't completely undermine the spirit of the interview, especially the pointed question regarding the appropriate outlet for black Americans to question the government. Tomi Lahren response has been a non-sequitor at best and intentionally misleading at worst. For instance, Colin K's kneeling isn't about patriotism (and the national anthem's history at sporting events was historically and remains centered on entertainment value) but what he has done is rooted in everything our Constitution and American tradition rightfully protects. She is using shallow patriotism and nationalism against an action rooted deeply in liberty, democratic speech and value-based individualism (ie taking a lone stand against societal norms). Which begs an answer to the question Noah asked. If simply kneeling is wrong, if protesting is wrong, if speaking truth to power is wrong than what do folks consider proper recourse and forms of citizenry?

5) I am shocked that a Christian like Killroy uses the "Hands up, Don't Shoot" mantra in such a twisted manner. I am now agnostic but was raised Baptist and still have an annotated copy of the Bible on my nightstand. How does a faith whose principle figure challenges his followers, practitioners and educators to practice radical empathy and compassion align with the current climate in which people weaponize democratic liberty and faith against fellow citizens? I would think self-proclaimed Christians would emulate the best of Christ and truly investigate and disarm our tendencies to castigate those with less power, the poor and the victims of violence. The better angels of Christianity challenge followers to resist petty tribalism and at moments like these actually stand and protect those in harm's way. But this is nothing new. White Christian leadership condemned even Martin Luther King Jr despite the whitewashing that history has recieved. Its always been too soon, too fast or the wrong time when it comes to people of color advocating for themselves in America.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Disagreeing with a movement and organization is fine but it requires rigor and investigation to do so effectively.

1) The notion that the BLM movement has been silent after violence committed in their name is emperically wrong and easily disproven. Just a week ago they made a statement against violence and the importance of protecting the mentally ill after the hideous attacks in Illinois:
"Black Lives Matter has consistently called for less violence, not more. Like our family in Chicago, we condemn this behavior and support the local community in their search for answers and a restorative justice process"

2) The "community" they speak of is inclusive, not limited to intra-racial politics. They constantly cite restorative justice which requires working across classic legal and socio-political barriers to make communities stronger.

3) Trevor Noah's performance has been lackluster and problematic at moments. The Daily Show is clearly left-leaning and has owned that for years. Their bias would only be a problem if they tried to disguise it. Conflating their comedy and entertainment with journalism is the entire purpose of their existence. The rise of corporate, cable news shows on Fox and CNN gave way to a troubling trend that their satire exploited. Infotainment that they satirize is killing democracy and we can see much of the repurcusions across the internet, including here. Citizens take Bill O'Reilly or Lemon at face value and confuse unfounded opinion with vetted news. It creates a vicious cycle of misinformation. Just look back at #1 here to understand how people make statements without fact checking.

4) Trevor's mistakes don't completely undermine the spirit of the interview, especially the pointed question regarding the appropriate outlet for black Americans to question the government. Tomi Lahren response has been a non-sequitor at best and intentionally misleading at worst. For instance, Colin K's kneeling isn't about patriotism (and the national anthem's history at sporting events was historically and remains centered on entertainment value) but what he has done is rooted in everything our Constitution and American tradition rightfully protects. She is using shallow patriotism and nationalism against an action rooted deeply in liberty, democratic speech and value-based individualism (ie taking a lone stand against societal norms). Which begs an answer to the question Noah asked. If simply kneeling is wrong, if protesting is wrong, if speaking truth to power is wrong than what do folks consider proper recourse and forms of citizenry?

5) I am shocked that a Christian like Killroy uses the "Hands up, Don't Shoot" mantra in such a twisted manner. I am now agnostic but was raised Baptist and still have an annotated copy of the Bible on my nightstand. How does a faith whose principle figure challenges his followers, practitioners and educators to practice radical empathy and compassion align with the current climate in which people weaponize democratic liberty and faith against fellow citizens? I would think self-proclaimed Christians would emulate the best of Christ and truly investigate and disarm our tendencies to castigate those with less power, the poor and the victims of violence. The better angels of Christianity challenge followers to resist petty tribalism and at moments like these actually stand and protect those in harm's way. But this is nothing new. White Christian leadership condemned even Martin Luther King Jr despite the whitewashing that history has recieved. Its always been too soon, too fast or the wrong time when it comes to people of color advocating for themselves in America.
WOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	words2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	13458  
Old 01-10-2017   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Just kiddin restrac. I'm sure you understand some of those words. So do you agree that BLM should be judged on their official positions?