Old 04-23-2010   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by mvhyde View Post
I absolutely disagree. Thugs and idiots have no place in sports of any kind, and the same can be said for the "me me me" and whiners types. Then to get on here and bitch about the fact that he's very religious is just as bad to me. Religious belief should not be an issue, whether someone believes or not is their business. But it does testify to his character. Tim Tebow and those like him go a long ways in life for one simple reason, good character.

The one thing teams need these days is to return to having players who have good character and are good role models. Have you looked around these days and seen some of the people kids in our country look up to?

My son as a competitive kayaker looks up to people like Scott Shipley, EJ, and Joe Jacobi. Those guys are solid characters, Olympians, and have good morals.

The broncos may not have it all figured out quite yet, but this is a positive step in the right direction.
I agree that good character, leadership and a solid work ethic is always at a premium. But you still have to be on the field for that to have an effect on the team. Not sure how much Tebow will contribute if he's spending a lot of time on the sidelines with a clipboard. Plus we just acquired 25 year old Quinn, who's arguably more talented, and who doesn't seem to have character problems either. Not to mention Brandstater.

That being said, I'm getting over the initial shock of the selection. I don't question Tebow's work ethic, and the guy is a winner at heart. Maybe he can fix his mechanics in a couple of years. But the Broncos did not have a burning need at this position for this year, and if Tebow's going to be the guy on short yardage downs, he's going to be less effective since we declined to select one of the exception O-line guys available at the 25th pick that he needs to run effectively.

I do like the pick of Thomas over Dez Bryant, given the Marshall saga. Not sure it should have been our first pick. Looking forward to see what odd-ball picks happen today from McD. With all the moving up and moving down, We actually came out with one more pick than we went in with; and when you shake it all out, we got him for essentially a mid-third round pick. And with a deep draft, that makes Tebow more palatable as a long-term project. At least it's not boring. I just hope we fill the needs at Center.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #22
ftc, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Thugs and idiots have no place in sports of any kind? Sorry to say but they have a huge role in every major sport today and we can thank ourselves for it. If you really dont like it than my suggestion would be to stop buying major sports products, watching the games, espn, local coverage of the sports and any other source of revenue for the league/owners/coaches and players. Then maybe said individuals would have to begin living like normal people and stop f**king up because they would no longer be shown that they could. Instead we should probably just keep watching and bitching about it.

My real problem with McD is that he presents himself as a man of character but from what ive seen he seems to be just as big of an egotistical baby as the players that hes dealing with. His first move as coach of the donkeys was to attempt to trade a quarterback without telling him and then not even be man enough to call Cutler to discuss the situation. You can say what you want about Cutler but he is a young man still maturing (dont try to tell me you didnt have some groing up to do in your early 20's) and McD is a grown a*s man. Really who should have stepped up in that situation. Any player who isnt kneeling down to McD is being shown the door (Marshall, Schefler) and in my not so humble opinion you dont deal with your problems by not dealing with them. If Mcdaniels wants a team of yes men we'll see where it gets him. If you want to be a real coach than you take your thugs and idiots and work with them to help them become respectable men. Thats my soap box

chasingh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #23
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Bottomline is McD is THE coach. When grown men who have been lucky enough to have been chosen to play a sport for which they are paid ridiculous sums of money, they need to toe the line and do what is asked of them, when it is asked of them, and how it is asked of them. There are no I's in team as corny as that may sound.

If you look back at the truly great teams in the NFL, with the Chiefs, the Cowboys, the Packers and under the coaching leadership they had then and the respect the players had for their coaches back then, it is night and day now. There is a complete lack of respect in sports these days, even our little world of kayaknig it is highly noticable. That just does not cut it my book. Do you think Lombardi would have tolerated the BS the players pull these days? No freaking way. Those platyers would have been out of their asses and banned collectively from ever playing the game again.

Yeah, I agree that people should stop payting for a product that is defective, and all major sports are defective. They have become greeding grounds for immoral, disrepectful, lewd and lavicious behavior. I don't really care too much for McD, but I respect what he's trying to do. He's trying to remake the team, not in his image, but of that of a team that plays like a team, does it respectfully, and doesn't have players popping up on the evening news becasue they have been shot, beat their significant other, gotten caught drunk driving, etc. Marshall was an idiot and a big baby, Scheffler started down that path too. I could give a rat's ass about how talented they are or are not. There are some people who have such serious character flaws, they can't be fixed. We have prisons full of them.

And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote