Old 12-06-2006   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This is for all the parents

Associated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A fed-up mother had her 12-year-old son arrested for allegedly rummaging through his great-grandmother's things and playing with his Christmas present early.

The mother called police Sunday after learning her son had disobeyed orders and repeatedly taken a Game Boy from its hiding place at his great-grandmother's house next door and played it. He was arrested on petty larceny charges, taken to the police station in handcuffs and held until his mother picked him up after church.

"My grandmother went out of her way to lay away a toy and paid on this thing for months," said the boy's mother, Brandi Ervin. "It was only to teach my son a lesson. He's been going through life doing things ... and getting away with it."

Police did not release the boy's name.

The mother said that her son was found in the last year to have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, but that his medicine does not seem to help.

She said he faces an expulsion hearing at his school Wednesday. Rock Hill Police Capt. Mark Bollinger said the boy took a swing at a police officer assigned to the school last month. He has been suspended from school since then.

The boy's case will be presented to Department of Juvenile Justice officials in York County, who will decide what happens to him, Bollinger said. His mother hopes he can attend a program that will finally scare him straight.

"It's not even about the Christmas present," she said. "I only want positive things out of it. ... There's no need for him to act this way. I'd rather call myself than someone else call for him doing something worse than this."

December 5, 2006 - 7:52 p.m. Copyright 2006, The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

HAHA.. now that's getting pissed.

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #2
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Here's an idea: beat your kid. It was good enough for our generation.

All this brat needs is 10 minutes alone in a room with my old man. I guarantee, after he can walk again, he won't be stealing shit or swinging at cops. At least not until he's twenty something and drunk.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #3
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
There was a story about a New Zealand dad that had his son arrested for taking the car without permission to 'teach him a lesson'. The son went to jail for a day and was killed in jail. Taught him a lesson for sure.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #4
pnw, Washington
I am with BSOE on this one. He woulda just beat the crap out of me but he never would have turned me over to the cops. Never.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #5
C. Springs, Colorado
Spare the rod....................then call the cops when you can't control them..................Seems to be in fashion these days.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote