That article was seriously bad.
How Unions screws themselves in 9 simple steps.
1) Unions demand hire wages.
2) With increased wages, the average disposable income in the country goes up.
3) When disposable income goes up, purchases go up.
4) When purchases go up, there is less competition for customers and prices go up.
5) An increase in prices negates the wage increase you bargained for so you have to bargain for another wage increase to keep up with price increases.
6) Soon wages and prices have increased so much that no American will do non-Union jobs like agriculture, construction and cleaning.
7) Mexicans flood over our so-called borders to do the non-union jobs that Americans won't do.
eight.. not a f'n smiley face) We have record unemployment while at the same time 95% of workers on a construction site are Mexican. (not knocking Mexicans, by the way. They are way harder workers than gimme-gimme Americans.)
9) Factories close down and ship the jobs over seas to countries without union workers.
I don't see anything wrong with organized labor negotiating for work place safety, etc. But negotiating for higher wages than the market demands... they just screwed themselves out of a job to a Mexican who came here or a Malaysian to whom the job came to. Sacking groceries should be done by high schoolers for $6.00 per hour, not a man with a family of 4 demanding $20.00 (or whatever they make now) simply because that's what he needs to make a "living wage".
How to decrease unemployment in 5 simple steps:
1) Close the borders, kick out all illegals.
2) Let unions do whatever they want to do but let employers fire everyone and hire non-union employees if they want to.
3) Let the market determine wages.
4) If you don't like your wage, get trained, get educated and get a better job.
5) If you don't have artificially high wages, you won't have artificially high prices and people in lower wage jobs will actually be able to make a living doing things that only Mexicans and Malaysians are willing to do now.