Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 03-24-2009   #41
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Thank you Mania and Mr. Beaver, it's been a looong time since I studied Astronomy, the basics are still there but the details are getting fuzzy. Too bad I don't keep my old class notes and textbook at work to back up my ideas huh

Anyway, I thought this article was entertaining and fitting for this thread

Modern Problem: Everyone's an Expert | LiveScience

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #42
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
OK Mania, if I really start thinking about this my head is going to explode :P

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #43
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
OK Mania, if I really start thinking about this my head is going to explode :P
as long as it does not explode with too much force to create a second universe I think we will be OK. if it stays intact lets do another river trip!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #44
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Well, I am an engineer, so I still remember a few things from the year of Physics I had to take.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #45
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
okay folks if you are from Texas you got some spalinin to do

Texas School Board Set to Vote on Challenge to Evolution - WSJ.com

Texas school board chairman Don McLeroy (a dentist) believes that God created the earth less than 10,000 years ago. If the new curriculum passes, he says he will insist that high-school biology textbooks point out specific aspects of the fossil record that, in his view, undermine the theory that all life on Earth is descended from primitive scraps of genetic material that first emerged in the primordial muck about 3.9 billion years ago
Lets all go back 200 years.
Old 03-25-2009   #46
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
McLeroy should take a long look at the Kitzmiller v Dover Area School District decision from the US District Court. In that case, Judge Jones wisely held that teaching intelligent design, or "creationism lite", was a violation of the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment.
Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #47
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
yes you can watch it here. he probably fears watching video on the evil internets though.

NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial | Watch the Program | PBS
Old 03-25-2009   #48
wannabe kayaker
Dayton, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2006
Even as a Christian, I always cringe when I see these kinds of assertions. I do believe that God created everything, but the Bible doesn't explain much about how God went about it. The Bible spends exactly 2 chapters discussing creation. Compare that to the number of chapters the Bible spends on seemingly smaller matters (like plans for the temple). I don't think God really intended to communicate the details about it, He just wanted to let us know that it was His handiwork.

I believe that much of what science has discovered about the origins of this world and the universe are more an explanation of the mechanics of how God created everything. There are still a lot of holes left in the theory of evolution (and it is still a theory). Just like for a couple of hundred years everyone believed that Newton's theory of gravity was the final word on the subject, until Einstein put forth the theory that there were things that Newton missed in his theory. It seems to me that there are a lot of pieces to the Big Bang that violate other principles of physics (conservation of mass and energy, entropy, and where did the material to cause the Big Bang come from?). I think that much of the modern theory of evolution explains what happens, but there is a lot more yet to be explained. I believe that God is behind some of those explanations.

I'm not out to change anyone's mind on this, I realize that I'll probably just be the butt of the next joke. I just wanted to put out there that not everyone who believes in God holds to these kinds of beliefs. Fortunately my faith doesn't rest on having answers to these arguements (I don't think God really wanted us to full understand yet).

All I gotta say is that when I'm out on the river, or hiking through the mountains, or even looking at the flowers in front of my home, I really can't buy that all of this is some big collosal accident. This world and everything in it is the work of a master artist, and it is good....
Boilerblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #49
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
boiler. do you deny evolution? ever hear of cross breeding/ mutations? wouldn't they be gods creations even though they could be man made? like the glow in the dark fish made by the japenesse or the square watermelon? different genes there for it is an evolution maybe not a good one though. i can't say other than what you beleive because i have no proof that his supremecy doesn't exist. it could exist what ever the beginning came into existence. but we can't say for a fact that he is a true fact and for all we know a supreme creator is a theory. and one that was a little easier to come up with peyote and alehausca tea. spelled wrong sorry. we can't deny the theory of the big bang and can't dispute against because we have yet to know everything about the universe. i also dont beleive a creater would allow the torure of a soul.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #50
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
The one thing that everyone that takes a book such as any particular bible forgets, is it is a book written by man, for man. Not a book written by some supernatural being. Now Boilerblues, I can respect your beliefs, even more since you are not trying to convert the masses. But do you really take the bible at face value? Do you accept stoning to death those that stray from a ideal? There are many parts of any 'bible' that we find distasteful today. That is because a book that was written in the early stages of civilization, was written to compel one to behave in a civil way by the power of fear. That is the failure of all religions.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote