The Fox:Hero of the River - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Sandusky, Ohio
The Fox:Hero of the River

Back in the 70s a man named Jim Philips secretly waged war against big corporations that polluted the Fox river in Illinois. He would sabotage their plants and even dump sewage in one company's headquarters. He was known as the Fox and passed away a few years ago.

I read the book that he wrote under the name Ray Fox which I bought from here https://www.amazon.com/Raising-Kane-.../dp/0962676519

Anyone else here read it?

Cool Kayaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2002
FOX

I have read about 70% of the book and will eventually finish it. I grew up on that river and recall finding shopping carts and other treasures during the summers I spent there in my youth. The river is still pretty heavily polluted but things are getting better....I think yorkville has a playpark on the fox now as well!
nomadderwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Hi,

I live on the Fox River in the area where this happened. The river is much cleaner, in some part thanks to his efforts.

It's flat water boating for the most part, with a small whitewater park in one location. There are occasional discussions about dam removal and other play possibilities. But it's still pretty much a series of pools from low head dams, with one high dam down near the confluence with the Illinois River.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'll be dipped! I grew up in St. Charles on the Fox before leaving for Colorado in '89. I remember in the '70's all the kids in school talking about this guy and no one knew who it was. Lots of speculation about some hippy science teacher at the local high school being the famous "Fox".

Here's what the Google machine kicked out https://patch.com/illinois/montgomer...ity-of-the-fox

The big scandal was when he plugged up a waste pipe in Elgin at a casket factory on the river or so the story goes.

That river is typical Midwest; wide, flat, great for canoeing and great for being a kid on.