Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 03-02-2009   #11
Mr. Toid your ramblings amuse me and reinforce why no one in this house has voted for an R in 3 election cycles.

Guess this guy is stupid and whats wrong with America also
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #12
timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Mr. Toid, that's what people called my father! Friends call me Yarmony...

To all you radicals out there... you should know I don't take any of this very seriously. The reason I continue post alternative information on various topics, is simple, to keep discussion and open thoughts flowing. I enjoy the argument, I certainly don't pretend to know it all. I do guarantee you, I'm not sitting around hating all day, which is something I doubt everyone can honestly say.

yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #13
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I sure have hated hammering the redial button all day and still not getting through to the yampa river office
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I read it and I was surprised that it wasn't as inflammatory as the usual, such as Rip's quotes above. However, I was not surprised that it held nothing in the way of specifics for improving the state of our country. It used fear and self-righteousness to paint the picture of conservatives as martyrs who have to accept Obama and his policies until conservatism rises out of the ashes.

It did nothing to suggest that conservatives themselves created the current view of Repubs, instead blaming that on "pop culture." How did pop culture paint such a horrific picture of these people-loving, constitution-upholding, democracy-defending, upstanding citizens? I'm sure Rush himself had nothing to do with our current view of the Republican party and conservatism as an ideology.

I was glad that he didn't attack anyone in this speech on issues over which they have no control (race, gender, sexual preference), but the entire speech attacks the policies of "liberals" and of Obama. This is not hope or change, either.

For those who criticized Obama's State of the Union Address (R.L. calls it a "show," which seems inappropriately disrespectful), I don't see anything here of more substance. So, Rush fancies himself a comedian, but I guess he is a politician, too.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #15
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
good call tmttr it all comes back to the big picture everything is cause and effect.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #16
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
By David Frum

President Obama and Rush Limbaugh do not agree on much, but they share at least one thing: Both wish to see Rush anointed as the leader of the Republican party. Here’s Rahm Emanuel on Face the Nation yesterday: “the voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican party.”

What a great endorsement for Rush! (And we know Rush is fond of compliments – listen to his loving account in his CPAC speech of the birthday lunch given him by President Bush just before Inauguration Day.)

But what about the rest of the party? Here’s the duel that Obama and Limbaugh are jointly arranging:

On the one side, the president of the United States: soft-spoken and conciliatory, never angry, always invoking the recession and its victims. This president invokes the language of “responsibility,” and in his own life seems to epitomize that ideal: He is physically honed and disciplined, his worst vice an occasional cigarette. He is at the same time an apparently devoted husband and father. Unsurprisingly, women voters trust and admire him.

And for the leader of the Republicans? A man who is aggressive and bombastic, cutting and sarcastic, who dismisses the concerned citizens in network news focus groups as “losers.” With his private plane and his cigars, his history of drug dependency and his personal bulk, not to mention his tangled marital history, Rush is a walking stereotype of self-indulgence – exactly the image that Barack Obama most wants to affix to our philosophy and our party. And we’re cooperating! Those images of crowds of CPACers cheering Rush’s every rancorous word – we’ll be seeing them rebroadcast for a long time.

Rush knows what he is doing. The worse conservatives do, the more important Rush becomes as leader of the ardent remnant. The better conservatives succeed, the more we become a broad national governing coalition, the more Rush will be sidelined.

But do the rest of us understand what we are doing to ourselves by accepting this leadership? Rush is to the Republicanism of the 2000s what Jesse Jackson was to the Democratic party in the 1980s. He plays an important role in our coalition, and of course he and his supporters have to be treated with respect. But he cannot be allowed to be the public face of the enterprise – and we have to find ways of assuring the public that he is just one Republican voice among many, and very far from the most important.

David Frum, resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, is the editor of NewMajority.com.

Frum is the author of six books, including two New York Times bestsellers: THE RIGHT MAN: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush (2003), and co-author with Richard Perle of AN END TO EVIL: How To Win the War on Terror (2004). His newest book is, COMEBACK: Conservatism That Can Win Again, published by Doubleday on December 31, 2007 and released in paperback in January 2009.

Frum is a regular commentator on American Public Media’s “Markeplace” program and writes weekly columns for THE WEEK, Canada’s National Post and Italy’s Il Foglio.

In 2001-2002, David Frum served as a special assistant to President George W. Bush. In October 2005, Frum founded and served as chairman of Americans for Better Justice, the lobbying group that led the opposition to the nomination of Harriet Miers to the US Supreme Court. In 2007-2008, he served as senior foreign policy adviser to the Rudy Giuliani presidential campaign. Frum is a member of the board of directors of the Republican Jewish Coalition.
Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #17
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I saw Frum's piece today and my only problem with it is that it presumes Limbaugh is acting primarily on his own self-interest. I don't think that's his primary concern; I think he really believes his methodology is the means to the end the GOP desires. It's the classic story of success breeding rigidity in ideology.

The GOP is dying because it can't accept that the electorate is changing around it, and because it can't accept it, it can't react to it.

The American Tories have not yet had their 1997...

Otherwise, Frum nails some issues about how the outside world perceives the GOP...
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #18
conifer, Colorado
Originally Posted by mouflon View Post
You attempt to insult the intelligence of your readers in your original post (.."if you know how to read") then you double post with this? It's full of misspellings, misused words, and inappropriate usage of punctuation. The only people who will listen to you when you sound so ridiculous are your fellow Rush fans (they're used to hearing this type of crap from him). People with fully functional brains will immediately dismiss you as an idiot.

This is just sad.

You conservatives better step-up your games or smart people will take over this country!
Sorry for the mispelling, to busy at work...I never listen to Rush. Maybe a little Mike Rosen or Dennis Prager.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #19
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I tried to read the transcript.... I got bored...

In the beginning he said he was going to tell who conservatives are.... He went on to just talk about character qualities. Qualities that any liberal could have. Did he eventually get around to actually talking about what conservative politics are? What it means to be conservative Politically, Militarily, Socially.... heck even morally. Did I miss something?
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #20
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by benrodda View Post
I tried to read the transcript.... I got bored...

In the beginning he said he was going to tell who conservatives are.... He went on to just talk about character qualities. Qualities that any liberal could have. Did he eventually get around to actually talking about what conservative politics are? What it means to be conservative Politically, Militarily, Socially.... heck even morally. Did I miss something?
No, the theme throughout was that conservatives are Americans and liberals are not. By Americans, he means a democracy and freedom loving, hard-working, philanthropic, compassionate, self-sufficient team who love small government. There was nothing substantial about policies except that Obama and the liberals want to change all that Americans stand for- as listed above. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong- but only if you read the whole thing.

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote