Old 12-29-2008   #21
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
not just specualting the people hes chosing as his key players have been players on others teams not much change if you ask me.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #22
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Not "change" from the last eight years? Seriously?

Believe me, I would have preferred some "fresh faces," but these appointees represent a gigantic change from the Bush/Cheney cabinet.

You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #23
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
not just specualting the people hes chosing as his key players have been players on others teams not much change if you ask me.
Obama's in a tough spot. The major criticism heaved at him over and over again during the campaigning was his inexperience. His choice of various types of centrist political veterans is a nod both to the fact that he doesn't have tons of experience and that he is living up to his promise of working with both major parties. He won't be president for a little while still, but he's trying to warm up the political establishment so his first couple months won't be any rockier than they're going to be already. You may not like Obama or the people he's picked, but you have to admit he's not acting like the Muslim Marxist (that still cracks me up!) bogeyman so much of the right painted him to be, and he also not acting like a complete political naivete. Or God's gift to progressives either. If you're working on changing the system you still have to use the system...
-Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #24
Durango, Colorado
[quote=caspermike;122523]i don't have a religion. and i believe strongley in freedom of religion. you must hate anybody who isn't like you. so are you saying since the bible was written about 2000 years ago that they should all be morman since thats a newer religion? lets over populate the world but its more up to date? what about muslims?

i think anybody has the right to think or believe what they want and i am not anybody to say or think against there beliefs because i wouldn't appreciate it either. treat brother as they self.

Mike, I certainly and completely believe in the freedom of belief and religion. I was excercising that freedom by explaining why I see the conservative morality ethic as outdated and harmful. That doesn't mean I'm for censoring anybody in that movement. As I said, I have no problem with the goals of anybody in that movement, only the colateral damage their actions cause. Hopefully you can see the difference.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #25
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
you can'n't blame all of what is happening now on the republican party or you aren't doing your homework. i personally know some very very gracious people who are conservatives and there life is not harmful or outdated? this country use to be more about individual freedom. the liberals are not liberating. this country isn't as old as you think it is either. about 6 generations ago people would have been shitting in outhouses and people still do it today is that shit harmful and outdated? you grouped this entire group into conservative morality ethic? what the fuck are you smoking. i guess i could bring up the fact that more than half of everybody in prisons or jail are in fact african american and they didn't get there because segregation. bring up this bible beat bull shit but show the tastistics of what or who is doing the crime just because louisiana has a higher murder rate than most places doesn't nessecarily mean it was caused by conservatives or christians for that fact. there may be some racism in the US but we would hear about more if it were bigger of an issue but look at the jena 6 punk that nearly killed that boy. he shot him self in the chest? yeah thats caused from the segregation. lets get the show down here and say how unfair it is for our black youth even thought the shits beat up this poor white folk. bit its alright cause we are going to get justice for our black youth? what the fuck is wrong with america these days it isn't the conservative morality ethics otherwise this country would have been gone along time ago. does the conservative morality ethics mean that we are all christian? who says i have to be christian to be conservative? less power in the government is more power with the people. pretty soon people like you are going to ban hiking in the woods for fear of disturbing the wildlife. pretty soon there will be laws on how much somebody can drive in a week and that will be caused from people like you. the liberal morality ethics is what is ruining this country this since of entitlement that goes along with it. why does anybody have to give you shit for living in america. this country was found on hard work not hand outs. the liberal morality ethics is in my opinion overstressed the market which was inacted by a congress of liberals.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #26
Durango, Colorado
First, you should definitely fix that shift key or at least start using the caps lock button. It's a little grating reading without capital letters.

Second, your point about segregation not causing crime is an oversimplification. The legacy of segregation has made African Americans the least afluent major racial group in the United States (Household income trends by race). I'm sure even you, my individualist friend, will agree that poverty and the accompanying lack of opportunity breeds crime.

The liberal ethic as I have always understood it and tried to practice it stands on two pillars.
The first is that government should protect us from harming each other but not from harming ourselves. Guns, as catalysts for violence fall in the first category, drugs fall in the second.
The second is that, as fellow travellers on spaceship earth, we have an obligation to help each other in times of trouble.

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote