Old 08-13-2011   #1
Taxes: Penny wise & pound foolish?

I guess one person's excessive spending is another's person's essential spending. Who cares if a nuclear bomb gets smuggled in a shipping container and blows up a portion of South Carolina?

At the Port of Savannah, steel containers from arriving ships must pass through giant radiation detectors designed to sniff out nuclear bombs.

In the 10 years since the Sept. 11 attacks, the federal government has spent $2.5 billion on a sweeping security overhaul at U.S. seaports from Seattle to New Orleans to Eastport, Maine, paying for everything from perimeter fencing to motion sensors and training for security officers.

U.S. ports worry Congress will make deep cuts in port security funding in the fiscal 2012 budget. An appropriations bill that recently passed the House included $1 billion in cuts to the Department of Homeland Security.

The American Association of Port Authorities says U.S. ports stand to lose half or more of the funding they are counting on to fulfill security improvement plans that look five years ahead.

"With the debt-ceiling crisis, we're just getting hammered," said Susan Monteverde, the group's vice president for government affairs.

Read more: U.S. secures its seaports, but funding may be cut - The Denver Post U.S. secures its seaports, but funding may be cut - The Denver Post

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #2
pnw, Washington
Thats one viewpoint or you could see that its a waste of time and money because they can just walk it across in a tunnel from Mexico while everyone wastes their time pursuing another unstoppable resource, drugs.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3
I don't think the drug lords will want to nuke the US which is their source of big money. And the terrorists probably can't pay the drug lords enough to cover how much money they make from the tunnels. Also, the smallest nuke a terrorist can make weighs about 2000 lbs. Russia and the US can make them smaller, but that requires fancy technology.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #4
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985

You are wrong on this one. The technology for a suit case bomb exists and has for some time.

Even if it didn't, a dirty bomb with a conventional explosive could make a segment of any city un-inhabitable. It is for this reason that some of us argue for a secure border. I don't care about amnesty for illegals. I think that issue is one both sides of the aisle have created. But the idea that someone who dislikes America can make Manhatten, or another banking and commerce center uninhabitable with a few pounds of high grade radioactive material scares me a bit.

So, I'm all for screening incoming containers, and think this is not the place to focus our savings. I'm all for securing our borders, while also understanding that it is a bit like attempting to keep a full sponge from leaking water.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote