Old 08-24-2009   #1
Indian Hills, Colorado
Surf Kauai Suggestions

Headed to Kauai this September for vacation. Will be staying on the north shore. Any recommendations for:

1) Long board rental
2) Mellow place to surf where I won't be getting in the way of agro-locals (looking for nice, easy long breaks)
3) Hazards, aside from the usual reefs, currents, jellys
4) Other recommendations?

I assume there's no whitewater on Kauai, but if I'm mistaken, please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #2
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
We went to Kauai and stayed up at Tunnels beach! Call RON (808-6351076) at WWW.TRAVELANDSURF.COM . He will hook you up with as many long boards as you need and he will deliver. He is the cheapest around and a nice guy! He gave us lessons on Hanalei Bay but if you are looking for bigger waves I am sure he can get you squared away.

Make sure you snorkel at Tunnels. KILLER!! Tons of Sea Turtles within reach!! Have a great time!

cheublein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #3

I visited kauai a couple summers back in early June. I stayed in Hanelei and rented boards and kayaks from Kayak Kauai- they were great, located right on the water so you could paddle to and from there easily. I did have a hard time convincing them to rent me one of their surf skis because they thought I might get in a jam with the locals trying to get the last of the waves on the north shore, so I had to settle for a big sit on top. I convinced them to give me thigh straps for more control. It happened to be rainy that day and nobody was on the beach, so we had the whole bay to ourselves, riding 3-4 foot waves in, pretty fun, although the best breaks were out near the mouth of the bay, breaking on a reef- lots of SUP boards out there. By the time you get there, the surf will be more or less gone on the north coast and be good on the south end of the island, near Waimea. It was still good near wailua and kapa'a whaen I was there and probably still will be now. There IS whitewater in Waimea canyon, but only if it rains and you can find gear. I read a story Sam Drevo wrote about boating this canyon that sounded pretty epic. If I were you, I'd paddle the Napali coast and enjoy the world's tallest sea cliffs- and it can be epic in its own right. enjoy your trip
shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #4
Indian Hills, Colorado
'preciate the recommendations.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote

kauai surfing agro-locals