Old 08-12-2011   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I t's the Tea Party downgrade because of their rigid stance against raising ANY revenue.They keep insisting that we have only a spending problem not a revenue shortfall.We have both.The fundamental underlying basis of the right's primary arguments are fallacious;that they are heavily over taxed and over regulated.Taxes on corporations and the wealthy are at a 35 year low.The regulatory regime has been badly weakened since Reagan,especially under Bush 2,and staffed with lackeys for industry instead of watchdogs for the public.The effective tax rates on corporations are among the lowest of OECD countries ,not the highest as repubs and libertarians consistently LIE about.Their baseline for what taxes SHOULD be is purely ideological pie in the sky ,not based on our previous rates ,the rates in other countries ,or what is needed to meet 1st world standards for a safety net,ours is the weakest safety net among advanced nations not the most generous.They bitch about the percentage of revenues now paid by the highest income bracket ,but conveniently ignore the outrageous amount of wealth they have consolidated and now control.
We do need to cut spending in some areas,but you need to do it gradually not pull the rug out from under the lower classes while simultaneously giving more tax cuts to the wealthiest.Allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire,like they were supposed to all along ,would ease these shortfalls significantly.I thought i:d get crucified to suggest a 25% reduction in defense spending ,some are suggesting even more,GOOD.

Mr. C ,
S and P 's statement specifically cited republican intransigence and their skepticism that the Bush tax cuts will be allowed to expire,as needed, in this political climate.I do agree with Blutzki in that ,why the hell are we allowing unelected/unaccountable credit ratings agencies with shitty track records themselves to dictate economic policy.The debt ceiling itself is unnecessary and was routinely passed in past administrations numerous times.Drawing this line in the sand now is more partisan politics than pragmatism.We do need to address these issues in the long term,hopefully based on facts not supply side dogma.Tax cuts do not raise more revenue or create jobs.You need only to fact check Clinton's tax policies and job creation record vs. Bush's to prove that. Mr . C the overwhelming majority of the debt came from repubs not Obama,again fact checking might help.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #12
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Step 1 - Change military offence philosophy to a military defense policy to cut the cost by half at least.
Step 2 - Require all businesses that trade in the US to produce at least half of their goods and services here.
Step 3 - Bring education into the 21st century by creating a levelized system where kids advance based on achievement rather than age.
= Problem solved

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #13
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
LSB, You got it on the head pretty well right there. I support the military, but not the military being ran by politicians (of any party) unless they are seasoned military experts, but then they probably have too much damned sense and honor to become a professional politicion (exempt is the representative from FL who served an honorable 25-30 years in the service).
Medicare may be 2nd rate by your standards, but have just this week used the medical network in Poland (for family that lives there) it is significantly better than anything they have and they have pretty good healthcare by socialized medicine standards.
I work the ER and it is a rare day that I treat more people who really need to be there than those who are there because it is fast, convenient, and they can usually get it for free or almost free.
And to those of you who will call me a dumbass, a right-wing nutjob, and a jerk are probably right.
I love ranting on!

Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote