Old 07-02-2009   #11
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The Selby's never pitched it as low-income housing. I believe they've always pitched it as a sustainable (green) community, which is more expensive but ostensibly better for the community. Now I've heard some grumbling on whether SM is really "green" construction, but that's another topic. The blunt fact is that South Main prices are what houses of that type, size and construction go for. As far as developers go, we could have expected far worse. Like Highlands Ranch / SoCal with no greenbelts & no attempt to integrate the river with a community.

And while I understand your lament about every Colorado mountain town becoming too expensive to live in, it ain't the Shelby's fault that Colorado is a beautiful & popular place to visit and live. Frankly, I doubt that given the amount of effort and time they've spent trying to get the project up and running - probably the better part of a decade - that they have yielded much of a profit for themselves yet. Not that the Selbys are starving, but I'd guess that the project has only recently gone into the black.

If you want someone to provide you cheap housing in a nice mountain community, I'd say you might be pissing up a rope.

Just as a disclaimer- I know Jed and Katie casually from when I lived in Durango, but I haven't seen or spoken to them since about 2004. Nor do I know anyone else associated with South Main.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #12
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Ok, so I have been all for SM from the beginning but is 400G's really right? (Will someone better informed please pitch in, here?). 400 does not fall into the affordable housing bracket, which is how the project was pitched to me. The affordable housing developments I've looked into have all been in the 80-220G range. So does anyone know the deal? Not bagging, just looking for intelligent, informed conversation.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #13
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
Yawn....Misinformed idiot posts, half-baked, poorly composed flame attempt because he needs attention on the internet and can hide behind a username.

The rest of us go on living productive lives and sharing the stoke for whitewater paddling.

Carry on.
Hahaha yes.
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #14
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
Thats an interesting perspective from someone from Crested Butte. When the Muellers are finished their development it's gonna look like Disneyland. (A casual observer) Ultimately, market forces will determine what a property sells for. Timing is everything in real estate development. Fortunately for South Main, they got most of the front end development costs taken care of, now they have to ride out this market downturn. Unfortunately their feeder markets for resort property in that price range are seized up right now, which might tighten their margins forcing some downward pressure on prices. Personally, I hope South Main is successful, from a long term beneficial financial impact on BV. I'd rather see a clustered mixed use community in city limits maximizing open space than thousands of trophy homes on 35 acre parcels in places like Crested Butte, Telluride, Carbondale and other mountain communities. It's the choices we make now.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Now if you are looking for an affordable housing option they are available. They are providing an option for those seeking that with the row houses coming in under $250K for a two bedroom and a three for under three. The nicer homes may cost a bit more but have you seen the place. You may not feel the style fits good old redneck BV but its actually an acceptable practice to improve your surroundings. If you want to not be paying those prices you could move to Parker instead. If you want to live in a place like that you are going to have to pay for it. Coming from the Durango viewpoint we can understand. We have to scrape to not have to live in the front range but when I wake up a realize where I live it makes it all worth it. If you get down to what it actually takes to create the infrastructure of a community, the asthetic contributions and the building costs of the actual home the numbers are right there. Don't like it, don't move in but berating them for building such a beautiful community seems moronic.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #16
The next zone, .
Skid I cant even begin to start with your post....

That may well be the most uninformed and ignorant rant that has ever crossed the buzz...

You my friend are a true jackass...
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #17
Agree with d.e that a post like this is coming from a Crested Beutician. Dang, that place is waay overdone.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #18
Denver, Colorado
The new west

The original poster describes an interesting paradox of the new west.The majority of mountain towns have created realty based economies. Say what you will, but Vail developed the business model in the early 60's. Ski area operations operate on very tight margins while the margins in real estate and development are far better (historically). Ski areas and golf courses and maybe whitewater parks, attract buyers. That being said, in the new economy the viability of this model is being tested. Clearly Buena Vista does not have an economy that can tolerate very many $400,000 homes. Which is similar to other towns in that they attract retirees, vacationers, and speculators. Which has the net effect of altering the social fabric, for good or bad, not my intention to judge that aspect. The homes in South Main are not what could be considered affordable in Buena Vista and I have found little evidence that that was ever their intent. The frustration stems from the rapid change from rural agricultural economies to more urban and realty based economies. Never an easy transition, quite often long time residents are priced out of the community by rising prices that are not congruent with rising incomes. That being said, most resort developers have a tough row to hoe right now. Not to mention that kayakers are not typically big spenders.

Enough of that. Anybody paddling anything fun this weekend? I'm down for the III-IV.
Sawtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #19
Ark Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What an ignorant, ill-informed (and poorly spelled I might add) rant.

I live and work in BV year round and while I will probably never be able to afford to live in South Main, I already find myself taking advantage of the new amenities that the South Main developers have played a role in creating for our community...improved hiking trails, increased river access and play features, new businesses (the Eddyline Brewery and Rock Run Gallery), a new climbing boulder with two more on the way, and in general great place to gather with friends, walk and ride my bike.

Next time you have a gripe, try expressing yourself sans the hatred and anger. You might find that more people are willing to hear you out. Right now, you just look like an uneducated fool.

Oh and by the way, you need not fear that The Rope will turn into a "foo-foo latte/sushi bar" because the sushi bar actually opened up just down the block (across the street from CKS), The Asian Palate. It's a great addition to our town and the locals are stoked!
ninjatiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #20
castle rock, Colorado
Mc I agee with you 1hunderd %. wtf I like towns with no income. That makes these projects fail! I wish i had money to get me and education so I can spell and make cents and know about what I am talking about.
good for bv to have that in the town. for a town to make it it has to have people living or at least own land there. I think I get your point that bv is getting bigger and that sucks to a point but with the times we are in if people want to spend that much money on a house the taxes that the town will get will only help everything out. So stop your bitching and moaning and look at the good side of shit so you dont sound like a total dumb ass

dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote