Old 10-25-2006   #11
Web Developer/Programmer
Hey did you say you were from Florida or something. If you've never driven in snow before keep in mind that just because a bunch of idiots are cruising doesn't mean it is safe to do so, 4 wheel drive or not. Just use your common sense and rhm's tips and you should be good to go.

Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #12
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
that 4x4 attitude is why we get to run extra calls on the ambulance in the winter time. 4x4 is actually WROSE when going downhill. learn to drive on the snow and ice, that's your best bet for winter driving. there is an ice driving course we had to take for work in steamboat. take it. you will learn a lot. i drove with 2x4 - rear wheel drive for several years and had no incidents.

Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #13
Vail, Colorado
I can see both sides but I agree with Matt. 4x4 seems to give the out of towners (ie. gapers, tourons and what have you) that aren't use to driving in the snow a large S- for superman on their chest therefore creating more accidents (rescue paid for by locals) more backed up traffic and so on and so forth. Slow down, take your time. The mountains have been there for eons and will be there by the time you get there. Not to mentinon if you are coming from sea level and have minimal time to acclimate then you won't be skiing a full day anyways. DRIVE SLOW and DEFENSIVLEY>
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #14
Yea, it's amazing how flat-landers are screwed up here. It's rare that a 4x4 helps in snow, unless your driveway is long, steep, and you can't shovel. 4x4 doesn't help with braking, which is more important.

The main thing is to have good tires. All-season tires are pure baloney.
If the highway is so bad that you need 4 wheel drive, it will be closed.

A 4x4 is good for kayaking access on jeep trails. And, yea, having $50 chains in the car is worth it, but I haven't used mine in ~10 years.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #15
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
i drive rear wheel drive 15 passenger vans around steamboat all winter long. four wheel drive is nice for getting going, but it does not help you stop. there have been a couple of times in one of the vans when i could not get going because it was so slick, but that is very rare. also if you are driving on slick roads you will probably finally hear your abs kick in. it happens to me all the time with passengers in the van who have never heard their abs working. they yell "what's that grinding sound?!! are the brakes alright on this thing?" don't worry if it feels like the pedal is moving up and down under your foot, that is normal. the grinding sound is also normal. just let off enough for the abs to quit working and then apply the brakes again until the abs starts grinding again. repeat this until you stop or slow down to the speed you want. you can stop the vehicle faster by pumping the brakes
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #16
Ok... so I lied. You'll never get anywhere with the weather going on right now without a 4-wheel drive today in Colorado.

cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote

« how much $ | CGM »