Old 01-16-2009   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Some Friday Political Humor:

A couple of cleverly written political columns

Itís true, I did break bread with Obama. It was amazing. He was carried into the house by cherubs, Bruce Springsteen and Oprah Winfrey spread rose pedals on the carpet where he was about to walk and he very considerately asked me what vintage of wine I wanted my water turned into.

Itís also a sign that Obama can talk to and understand Americans at all social levels. For example, that night with us, he had an elegant dinner filled with sophisticated ideas and complex policy conversation with a bunch of right-leaning commentators. Then the next day, he had a meeting with some liberal commentators where, I presume, he was just as fluid while using much simpler sentences, shorter words and serving Froot Loops and Hostess Twinkies. There are pundits at all levels of cognitive distinction, and Obama has to learn to address all of them," - David Brooks, NYT.
Venezuela's Hugo Chavez seems to have lost a little of his bravura recently with reports in the papers today that as his reserves of fuck you money dwindle due to declining oil prices, he is offering the oil companies he once screwed the chance to come back to Venezuela. Bienvenido a Caracas, mis amigos, all is forgiven... er, please forgive me. Now if only we could harness the power of those oil companies to really deliver a lesson.
-David Rothkopf

"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I really enjoy Brooks' commentary. Hope he survives the Religious Right's purge of Republican intellectuals. Being a member of the Eastern Media Elite, I'm pretty sure he hasn't ingested a Twinky or a bowl of Froot Loops recently, though he probably let his kids inhale a few...
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote