Social Media is Bruising the Wilderness - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 10-06-2016   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Social Media is Bruising the Wilderness

Thoughts? Fully appreciating the irony that this is being shared on social media...

DeFrates column: Social media is bruising the wilderness | PostIndependent.com

LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #2
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I lost interest when she wrote "Soal-Gasmic" But I didnt stop reading until she said that she didnt get out of the Jeep
Old 10-06-2016   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
So you missed the entire point. Nice try.
Anyone else?
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #4
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Your reply makes me think that there must be a nugget in there but I just cannot seem to force myself to look for it.
Old 10-06-2016   #5

cedar city, Utah
It's an old argument in new clothing. I tend to think her general theme, constantly evaluating why we recreate and the impact it has, is an important one. Her justifications and details don't hold much water. Backpacker and Outside have been dealing in "secret"places for 2-3 decades. Guidebooks changed the importance of maps and sharing with friends for about as long. Websites have been giving away beta since the early 90s.

But the biggest argument that irks me is the constant need to universalize a hierarchy of use. I prefer multi-day trips that are human powered but that doesn't mean those are inherently the best way. If weekend warriors want to do day trips, snap lots of photos and upload them at the bar with friends then go for it. You could actually make s valid argument that by only going into the shallow distances of public lands they are doing the environment good. Many ideas held as sacrosanct about wild places are being turned on their head by research. for example, wildlife actually seems to be more affected by human powered travelers than motorized or merchandized (length of intrusion and lack of auditory warning).

How we interact with anything as individuals and society is ever changing. Jack Turner had a great essay on this subject in Abstract Wild. It was one of the best but was full of similarly subjective underpinnings. I guess I am just at a point where the nostalgia for how I recreated doesn't need to define how others do now.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Great article. I also blame the ever growing outdoor industry. I needed to post that because they are ready this!
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #7

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
Great article. I also blame the ever growing outdoor industry. I needed to post that because they are ready this!
I blame the ever growing people problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Your reply makes me think that there must be a nugget in there but I just cannot seem to force myself to look for it.
I found the article a struggle too.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #8
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I blame the ever growing people problem!

I found the article a struggle too.
Yep!
Old 10-08-2016   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
And rec.gov, It is not necessary to turn nature into an internet advertised amusement park.
Old 10-08-2016   #10

cedar city, Utah
I see Rec.gov as an attempt to manage pressure that already existed. I have mixed emotions about the system but most of the places I use that went to it were already experiencing high levels of pressure.

Attached is an interesting article on the issues associated with tourism in Moab and Springdale:

Special Report: Utah's 'Mighty Five' put the squeeze on Moab, Springdale | Deseret News

Tourism is such a double edged sword. It's why I am skeptical of pushing for monument designation in many cases.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote