Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-16-2013   #1
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
So 40 years ago I met this bunch of freaks.....

The Rocky Mountain River Expeditions 40 year reunion took place last weekend at Muddy Creek Resort in Kremmling.

It was a Hoot!

D-9 has spent most of the summer building a raft, (A by God Udisco!) wooden food boxes, oars, even found a Mae West life jacket, etc. etc. etc.................we actually used this shit to run people??

On Saturday those willing and able ran from Pump house down..........I have not been to Pump house, Radium, Rancho, or State Bridge since about 1978, and I note that there have been some changes............. starting with a $5 fee just to drive into the Pump House? And where in the hell did the pump house itself get to? And who put those damn toilets and camping sites and ramps and roads in??

So, here's the thing for all you young whippersnappers (sorry could not miss the opportunity).....................

40 years ago we were all young, fit, daring fools who gladly sacrificed a normal career for adventure. Simply because no one else had done it before us we pioneered a lot of things..........paddle boats on commercial trips, women guides, real food, standards for guides.............and we partied all night, ran all day, and generally raised hell whenever and wherever we could.

At the reunion, I noted with some humor that:

A) Where we used to drink 6 beers while waking up in the morning, now 1 beer pretty much did the job. For the weekend.

B) Where we gladly played Volley Ball (Bloody Ball at times) until it was too dark to see after a full day of river and a short night, the most challenging game available this time was ring toss. And Horse shoes.

C) Where we used to live out of a duffle bag for 3 months, sleeping on a tarp even when it rained, this weekend we had cabins with showers and refrigerators and comfy beds, and we brought enough shit to outfit a Marine battalion. Out of maybe 50 people in attendance, I know of only one person who slept outside, and he had a tent and it didn't even snow........really!

D) Where we used to wear small or medium, or maybe a large, now we wear Large or XLarge or even XX Large.......

E) Where we once bragged about "that time when we drank so much we..............." Several were now bragging they'd been sober for ...........

F) Our main sustenance in 1978 beyond food was booze and natural pharmaceuticals. At the reunion it was Lipitor, Crestor, Oxygen, and Insulin.

Anyway, Thanks so much, Dennis, Mike, Gary and Greg for starting RMRE, and thanks for the reunion, and thanks for the memories!

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #2
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Funny funny stuff.

Glad you left the "Depends" out of the conversation! Oh we don't need those either with self bailers and cats.

jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Great story Schultzie! Thanks for posting this.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #4
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Originally Posted by jpwinc View Post
Funny funny stuff.

Glad you left the "Depends" out of the conversation! Oh we don't need those either with self bailers and cats.
Well, don't you pretty much have to be house broken to need those?

Cause I know we weren't...................
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013   #5
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Great story. Know a couple of rafting company owners on the Royal Gorge who tell about running "back in the day". Pleasure and a privilege to be with you on the buzz.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think it is comforting to know life will eventually slow down and not be so crazy all the time. Great information!

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote