Old 06-19-2014   #1
behind your mom, Colorado
Self bailers…

I do a lot of mountain biking, rock climbing, and kayaking. Why is it that kayakers seem to bail last minute on plans more than any other group I know? In the last two weeks I've had no less than a dozen people bail out in the last 4 hours of paddling plans. Does anyone else have this problem? I for sure thought it was me (maybe I'm an asshole?) but I end up paddling with all these people again in the future. I'm not super pissed about it, just sick of not being able to boat because people back out.

I've even met people on the river and had a great time, talked about how I can't find a solid crew because everyone bails… they agree that sucks and we make plans to boat. Then they bail too hahahahhaha fuck me! I just want to paddle

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
So you have a bike? Paddle solo. It's neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #3
bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1978
if I counted on my friends, I would never get on the river. I findly gave up on them, usually just hire shuttle but that limits where I can go. they just want to float frog water and bring all their dogs to run wild and get mud on all our shit.
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #4
behind your mom, Colorado
Originally Posted by tango View Post
So you have a bike? Paddle solo. It's neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
definitely! I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit recently though and don't want to roll solo.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #5
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Yep getting people to committ to anything is just difficult. I live in Montrose and started keeping a list of all kayaking contacts in our area. I now have a list of 10 people that I randomly call and try to organize runs with every weekend. I call everyone on Thursday to explain where we can go and find out who is coming. If they haven't commited by Friday with go with whoever shows up on Sat. morning. I only paddle really safe streaches or popular runs by myself. Kayakers are not the most organized bunch of people around.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #6
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
The problem is not just with kayakers.

Last week I had asked TWENTY-ONE PEOPLE to come with me in my boat to float the New takers. (all have at some time asked me to take them, some are regulars as well

Week before that I asked about 12 with the same result.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #7
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
It's just the way it goes. We've had people bail the morning of launch on multi day trips. Oh well their loss!

Skikbum66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014   #8
12 years ago i sold my paddle raft and bought a 14' cat for the same reason. i could never find people to go. they always had some other thing to do, like clip their toe nails or something.

if i waited for people to hit the river, i would rarely get on the water. i run the river solo quite a bit, many times i meet new people to run with. of all the people i met on the river this year, only one every called me to go out again. and we did.

i do plenty of shuttles by walking, hitchhiking, and sometimes my motorcycle.

i have come to the conclusion that many people like to talk about the big water they run, and all the gear they have but when it comes down to it, it is many times just talk!
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

I will throw out that I am looking to get on the Upper C the weekend of July 11th-13th right now. Rafting, not yaking. PM me.
climber-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #10
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I have a solid crew that seems to stick to plans. We often pick up strays at put ins. Meet some really cool people this way. But if your out there alone take your time at the put ins and net work with those launching. Maybe even camp a night or two. Also, If I see a someone thumbing a ride wearing a pfd.. I always pick them up. They might be riding in the back but I do make room.

Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote