Old 08-24-2010   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Your advice has been sage and is valued. I would rather work within the system than against it. Right now you have teachers and principal butting heads privately, and expressing an united front publicly. That makes it difficult as a parent to step in. Durango is probably ahead in dealing with these issues. They have been dealing with hispanic / indian / anglo issues since I was in that area as a kid. It is new to Park City.
Well, unfortunately Durango 9-R school district has not embraced or encouraged the diversity that has long been a part of our town. I know exactly what you mean when you talk about behind the scenes negotiations, etc. 5 years ago, I left due to discriminatory practices toward students; the next year, the principal was fired for doctoring test scores. I teach in Aztec now- an even more diverse community where the administration and teachers work together to find a balance between teaching to the test and teaching what is valuable.

Helio is right- your support and involvement in your children's education is going to be the most valuable thing you can do for them.

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Your kids are forced to learn Spanish because immigrants don't want to assimilate. Wow. And you're excited because Spanish language skills will be so marketable? And rather than make them learn English, we're going to divert resources away from the rest of the system to teach them in Spanish. We should put up a huge sign over the Rio Grande saying "Now offering free public school in Spanish!" Let's make sure they have burritos and tacos in school lunch so they don't get stuck eating PB and J like the gringos, because that wouldn't be accommodating enough. Why don't we change all the road signs in the nation to have Spanish translations? Let's just send them all personal invitations.

3% of Mexican descendants who start public school in America graduate college. Does that mean we aren't trying hard enough or they don't give a shit? I go with the latter.

My f&^*ing country 'tis of thee.

SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #13
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
If I had my choice

There would be a intensive english program that would focus on brining the none english speaking kids up to proficiency in language. They would then be tested to fit the proper grade level in their core course work. I don't. So, I will attempt to reshape what is taking place if and when I see the school slip in performance. Until then I am just acting out of fear.

Our schools are open enrollment. I could move schools. Maybe I'll go to the charter. Coming here and asking others certainly helps me understand the issue better without the reprisal of being labeled. The best alternative for me and my three kids is to make the neighborhood school work for us. One nice thing is that I do have options. While I respect your opinion and agree with elements of it, I think I will need to polish it's style a bit before taking it public.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #14
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Thanks to all for the advice. Kid got with a great teacher and am happier than ever. Also seeing kids leave the charter and come back to the public school. Interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote