Old 01-06-2009   #31
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
poor golden but i agree 100 percent. my gf and i went a picked up our pup shes about 24 weeks now i think. alittle sheltie/ border collie, size of a small sheltie and with the coat of a boarder collie. anyways. we go to the park everyday to walk her and somedays theres a couple dogs that also visit the same park that have horrible personalities but even worse owners. we have had a couple dogs come up to my pup and start attacking her one was a rotty lad mix or something like that and another time was a pair of little doggs she never disobies comands, so i let her off when we are at the park and she is never more than 20 feet ahead of me and put her back on the leash when we are on the sidewalks. i did kick the big dog even though i hate hurting animals i didn't see his owner any where but he ended up following me around the park. the other time the lady actually had the balls to tell me to leave her dogs alone when they were attacking mine. i bitched at her flipped her the finger and ran at her dogs and started barking. i picked up my pouch and spat on the one of hers that jumped up on my leg. i was fucking hot. and i agree with "the dude" those breeds can be very very protective. but they can be tamed by excessive training and excessive play and activities. our pouch does know the sick(bite him) and she can bite but she is very shy and friendly unless i give her the command. those breeds can be great pets if you know how to train animals correctly. and if you have one of these breeds i think its important to try and tame the natural desires of the breed. which is to chase

take me to the river sounds like that dog was a handful. im happy to hear you didn't put him down but instead gave him something to do.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #32
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
I am sure their are good breeders here and there, but come on, how often are Goldens used as hunting dogs anymore.
Ah, my dogs name start with "Hunters.....Kennel" being the name of the kennel, as in they focus on hunting dogs. They recently took a dog to the master hunter competition, akin to the olympics. My point being the varied skills and nature of goldens, not just blonde bombshells and sweet family pets.

Like most issues in life, it is not black and white but somewhere in the greys.
My point exactly, hence me calling you to task for making such black and white statements about a single breed. Whatever your breed of choice is, if it is a purebred, there are plenty of "knuckleheads" out there that anyone can disparage.

I do agree that puppy mills and pet stores do more harm then good. A quote from Wikki,

'Breeding Golden Retrievers can be profitable for puppy mills and backyard breeders. As a result of careless breeding for profit, Goldens are prone to genetic disorders and other diseases.'
Puppy mills do nothing other than harm, and again you make my point about mills and backyard breeders. All purebreds are getting more prone to these issues, SPECIFICALLY due to the unconscionable breeding practices of such places. But, problems of inbreeding do not define a breed.

I sure hope you have better sources of information than Wikki.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #33
Yea, I'm always amazed how people want to "rescue" dogs. Lot's of rescue dogs are inbred from puppy mills. People suffer over this trash.

60% of neighbor disputes are over dogs. Funny how people get carried away about their dumb dogs.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote